Carl L
Carl L, Master Technician
Experience:  Current Electronics Shop Owner and Master Technician in FL.
27991594

why does my iphone not send photos to non-iphones since I updated

why does my iphone not send photos to non-iphones since I updated to 5.1.1
Category: Smartphones
Expert:  Carl L replied 2 years ago.

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX will be assisting you today. I am a Master Technician that's dedicated to giving you the best Answer possible.

If you are new to the site, this is briefly how it works:

1. We will go back and forth exchanging information (if needed) and there is no extra cost for replying.
2. I will only give you the best possible Answer for your problem without the ability of actually being present with you.
3. I am a real hands on Master Technician and fix these issues everyday in my shop in FL.
4. Remember to leave a Positive Rating after we're finished.

* Favorable outcomes are always desired, but can sometimes be out of our control.

I see that your Question is several hours old and am inquiring to see if you still needed help with this or want to cancel.
I'll be more than happy to begin with you if your still interested.

Thanks,
XXXXX XXXXXndsey

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Still interested, if you think you can help. Just got an email from fido asking me if i want to suscribe to sms. What does that mean? I thought i had unlimited texting. If i reply yes is there likely to be a charge?
Expert:  Carl L replied 2 years ago.

That's just to subscribe to their incoming texts. There's no extra charge if you have unlimited texting.

The iPhone wont send it as an imessage unless it detects that the receiving end also has an iPhone. Do a backup of the phone using iTunes then restore it to factory. Try to send it to 2-3 non iPhones and see if it corrects the issue. Let me know how it goes.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok, i get that it won't send an imessage unless the other phone can receive an imessage, but before i updated to 5.1.1 i could send a picture as a text message no problem. Now youre telling me to back up on itunes and restore to factory. Why would this help? Are you saying there is something wrong with the settings on my phone? or is this to 'shut off' imessage? I don't understand why this could help when simply turning imessage on or off with the phone does nothing. What does restoring it to factory do? Do I lose all my apps etc? Is this 'fix' gone as soon as I sync to my back up on itunes again?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
also, please text my cell phone when you have a response for me.(NNN) NNN-NNNN
Expert:  Carl L replied 2 years ago.
If there was a glitch in the update then restoring it would test that theory. You can always restore it back to where it was with the backup.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I did as you suggested and it still does not text photos to an android. Nothing at all shows up for a message. On the blackberry I tried sending a photo to, they got a link to a website again.

Should I have all the options checked 'on', Imessage, sms, and mms?

Expert:  Carl L replied 2 years ago.
I just had a friend send me a test photo using their iPhone running the latest 5.1.1 to my Android Phone and had no problems. Who is your service with? Att, Verizon?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Fido. I just had a friend tell me they had an experience where it took a week for someone they know to recover the ability to text at all after updating their iphone. Is this possible? It sounds unlikely...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My phone seems to have started working again by itself. I have trouble crediting the restore because it did not work until after lunch today and the restore was completed last night. I thank you for your time but it seems you guys should already be aware of this time delay if that is all that the problem was.

I spoke to the person I used to have no trouble sending photos to last night around 10 mst.. They still are not receiving any photos I send. Before I restored my phone they did get a message saying something was downloading but nothing ever did. Now they are not even getting that message.

Expert:  Carl L replied 2 years ago.
We can't be aware of it because it's a very rare problem and is mainly caused by the Carrier. That's why I was asking who your service was with. Restore the backup back to the phone so you have everything again and make sure that it's still working.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
As soon as my expert thought he had the answer, all links became deactivated and I no longer had the option of contacting him, but my problem was not solved. My Iphone will still not send a photo to an android phone it used to send photos to before I updated to 5.1.1
I cannot believe I am the first or only one to experience this problem????
Expert:  Carl L replied 2 years ago.
What has the carrier said about this issue?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Contacted my carrier, they told me to try shutting off my phone for at least two minutes. I have done this, unfortunately I cannot get hold of the person whose phone is not receiving text photos for a few days. Is it possible to leave this connection open until I can get back to you?
Expert:  Carl L replied 2 years ago.
There's no time limit on our thread. Take as much time as you need and I'll be here whenever you need me. Laughing
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have given up on fixing this problem as it now seems to be only the one android phone I cannot text photos to. I have been told it must be the settings on the android. This seems like a funny coincidence since the problem happened immediately after I updated to 5.1.1 and imessage, however, the solutions I was told to try did make my phone able to send to other androids, so I think it must be a combination of the update and the settings somehow. I have no opportunity to play with the settings on the android and so am dead-ended.

I still cannot believe I am the only one who has encountered this problem.

Expert:  Carl L replied 2 years ago.

If the problem is only to 1 Android phone then I doubt the problem is on your end even though it's coincidental that it started right after doing an update.

It's hard to say if your the only one with this specific problem, but from the years of helping people here on JA everyday, I haven't seen an Apple update restrict the ability to send to Android Phones.

Carl L, Master Technician
Experience: Current Electronics Shop Owner and Master Technician in FL.