Brandon M.
Brandon M., Technician
Experience:  Setup, manage and service over 50 smartphones for a local law firm including Androids, iPhones and Blackberries

Using my iPhone 4, had 90% charge, then the screen went blank.

Using my iPhone 4, had 90% charge, then the screen went blank. I can still see the backlite faintly, and I'm still receiving calls and texts (can hear the rings and chimes), but can NOT see anything on the screen. Tried holding the home and power button down but nothing.

Added: just tried "rebooting" again, saw the backlight go off, but now I can't get the phone back on

Category: Smartphones
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 2 years ago.

beboo :

Hello and thank you for contacting JustAnswer, a third party paid expert support site. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X'X be glad to assist you with your issue.

beboo :

When you held the home and power buttons, did you hold it long enough for the phone to turn off? Basically, after rebooting the phone (I assume you *should* be able to faintly see the Apple logo if it doesn't light back up normally), it still happens?

Customer:

I did that and I saw the backlight go off, then reheld, saw the backlight come back on but nothing else. I just tried again and saw the backlight go off, but now I can't get the phone back on

Customer:

the phone has been out of the otter box for about 15 minutes now but the back of the phone feels hot

beboo :

Is the phone currently plugged in?

Customer:

i just unplugged it but it was plugged in for a few minutes

beboo :

It shouldn't be that hot to the touch after being plugged in for a few minutes. Luckily, the iPhone actually disables itself if it overheats so I don't think it's an overheating issue.

Customer:

yeah, i never got the temperature warning before the screen went blank

beboo :

Do you know if this iPhone is still under warranty (1 year manufacturer or optional 2 year AppleCare)?

Customer:

no its not

beboo :

Ok, this might be an issue then. The reason the screen isn't lighting up is due to the IC chip on the board inside. This controls the backlighting and the retina display. For whatever reason, this chip has failed and needs to be replaced. If it was under warranty, they would just hand you a refurb iPhone (like-new) and you would be on your way. Since it is not, you have two (maybe three) options. If you are (or are close to) eligible for upgrade with your carrier, you can get a new iPhone. The other option would be to send it to a third party to have them replace the part for you. One more option would be to pay Apple for the labor and parts to replace it but I don't believe they do that with the iPhones.

Customer:

is there anyway I can get the photos, etc, off of it?

beboo :

If you are confidient enough, you can replace the chip yourself but requires soldering skills.

Customer:

no I'm not that confident lol

beboo :

Not many people are, don't worry. :)

beboo :

Let's see - you said you can't get it to turn back on?

Customer:

nope...it did once but now I can't get it to

beboo :

Hrm - I hope it didn't fail completely. Did you happen to have iCloud setup on it?

Customer:

nope....its looking like it may have failed completely...just plugged it back in and still nothing

beboo :

Ouch, then it might be more than just the IC chip that failed - possibly the main board.

beboo :

Is it still hot to touch in the back?

Customer:

it gets hot when i plug it in

beboo :

Hrm. Yeah something isn't right there. DId anything happen to the iPhone? Fall? Water?

Customer:

nope...i was just sitting there reading on it and bam lol

beboo :

Hrm, that is ashame. Especially now that it won't come on to try to recover. What about this... Plug the iPhone into the computer. Hold down the home button. With that held, press and hold the power button for about 5 seconds or so and let go. Keep the home button held for a little bit and see if iTunes says it found a device in recovery mode.

Customer:

ok i'll try that

Customer:

ok...i borrowed a different cable and plugged it in and the phone came back on, screen still isn't working but the phone beeped and the pc recognized the device.....don't have itunes on my work pc

Customer:

aaaa....the back is getting hot again and the phone just went off

beboo :

Hrm, it must be overheating then. It's possible that the overheat sensor isn't being triggered.

Customer:

so basically i need a new phone

beboo :

Yes, it can be repaired but may cost more than a new phone would.

beboo :

Depending how close you are to the end of your contract.

beboo :

(you get a discount as you get closer to the end)

Customer:

i think i'm due for an upgrade....i guess i'll try to do what i can at home to try to recover my pics, etc.

beboo :

If you can borrow that cable overnight, see if you can hook it up long enough for iTunes to be able to sync the photos.

Customer:

yeah i'll try that.....have like 8 cables at the house lol

beboo :

Haha, ok. If you need anything else, please don't hesitate to come back but I think the iPhone itself is shot.

Customer:

i think so too....thanks for the help

beboo :

No problem. I hope I have been helpful in today's remote session. Please be sure to give me a good rating if I have been helpful to ensure I am compensated for my efforts. If you feel I have gone out of the way, you may provide me a tip on the acceptance page.

beboo :

If you are still there, it doesn't appear that it went through - can you try again?

Brandon M., Technician
Experience: Setup, manage and service over 50 smartphones for a local law firm including Androids, iPhones and Blackberries