John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+Yrs in the computer/electronics service industry

My phone has a picture of a USB cord and the iTunes logo. Nothing

My phone has a picture of a USB cord and the iTunes logo. Nothing will change this
Category: Smartphones
Expert:  Randy replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.
Please try this,
  1. Connect the USB cable to the iPhone, but leave the other end of the cable DISCONNECTED.
  2. Turn off the device: Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button for a few seconds until the red slider appears, then slide the slider. Wait for the device to turn off.
    • If you cannot turn off the device using the slider, press and hold the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons at the same time. When the device turns off, release the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons.
  3. While pressing and holding the Home button, connect the USB cable to the computer. The device should turn on.
  4. Continue holding the Home button until you see the "Connect to iTunes" screen. When this screen appears you can release the Home button:
    USB cord pointing the iTunes symbol
  5. If necessary, open iTunes. You should see the following "recovery mode" alert:

Alert text: "iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode..."

6. Use iTunes to restore the device.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no recovery mode notice appears

Expert:  Randy replied 2 years ago.
Okay, were you able to power off your iPhone?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Randy replied 2 years ago.
  1. Okay, please try this.
  2. These steps have to be done exactly.
  3. Plug your device into your computer.
  4. Turn off the device.
  5. Hold the Power button for 3 seconds
  6. Hold the Home button without releasing the Power button for 10 seconds
  7. Release the Power Button but keep holding the Home button
  8. Keep holding the Home button until you are alerted by iTunes saying that it has detected a device in Recovery Mode
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the phone never really switches off.

this does not work

Expert:  Randy replied 2 years ago.
Hold the Power button and the Home button down at the same time until the Apple logo appears, then release the buttons and allow your iPhone to reboot,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The red slider never appears.

it is impossible to keep the phone off once it is connected. this problem ocurred when I agreed to download new software, which did not download properly. I have reverted to an earlier time before this was downloaded but i think the problem is with the phone.

Is there no way to reset it?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
this does not work
Expert:  Randy replied 2 years ago.
Okay you will need to download the latest version of iTunes and then try again.
Please click here to download the latest version of iTunes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have reinstalled iTunes. It makes no difference
Expert:  Randy replied 2 years ago.

I am sorry this is not working, I will open the question so another expert can take a look at it, Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  John T. F. replied 2 years ago.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX self-employed tech, and I'm offering my time in good faith today to provide advice and information.

Are you running Windows or Mac on your computer?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Windows 7
The following procedure is a special firmware recovery mode (DFU). It will re-install the operating system on the iOS device (iPad, iPhone, iPod touch) and then re-sync user data once it is done.

* Open iTunes on your computer

* Connect the iOS device directly to a USB port on the computer

* hold down the sleep/wake button on the top until the device simply shuts off

* Hold down the sleep/wake button (on the top) AND the home button (on the front) for 10 seconds

* Release the sleep/wake button but CONTINUE to hold the home button, until...

* iTunes should pop up and tell you it’s found a device in recovery mode, click ok and continue along for the restore

If it doesn’t work the 1st time, start from the beginning and try again. If iTunes *still* doesn't recognize the device, plug it into a DIFFERENT USB port and try once more.

If you receive misc errors when attempting to install/uninstall or sync after installation, try temporarily disabling any anti-virus or firewall software you may be running.
John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience: 20+Yrs in the computer/electronics service industry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Nothing happens
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

There is never any change on the phone screen and nothing pops up in iTunes.

There are sounds from the computer.

It is impossible to keep the phone off for more than a second or so when it is attached

Do you have access to another computer where you can attempt this procedure?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I was thinking this.

I can download iTunes to another computer and try this. i will try later and let you know

Great, that should help narrow down the issue quite a bit.