Randy
Randy, Customer Service
Experience:  Expert in service and repair of all Smartphones.
62741268

I am trying to restore my iphone after sofware update and nothing

Customer Question

I am trying to restore my iphone after sofware update and nothing is happening. Only have the icon with the USB pointing towrads the iTunes icon
Category: Smartphones
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Put your iPhone to DFU (Device Firmware Upgrade) Mode and restore it from iTunes. Follow the steps below to put your iPhone to DFU Mode;

• Connect the iPhone to your computer with the USB Cable.
  • Open iTunes application on your computer
  • On your iPhone Press and hold the Home button and the Sleep/Wake button at the same time.
  • After exactly 8 seconds release the Sleep/Wake button. Continue holding the home button until your iTunes shows a message telling you that it has detected an iPhone in recovery mode.
  • Click OK or Restore

Note : Put it to DFU Mode while connected to computer and also in DFU Mode your iPhone will remain blank.

Let me know if that didn't worked..Only click Accept after we solved the problem.

Best Regards,

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it is currently contacting the iphone software update server. do i keep holiding the home button on my phone?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
You can release them now since iTunes detected it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok - it has done the update but the same message comes up and says iPhone in recovery modeand i need to restore it before it can be used with iTunes. The download for restore i have done a few times now and it keeps coming up with that message and my phone stays with the icon with the USB going into iTunes. I haven't had a phone since last night....
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other. Problems with IOS update on my iPhone 3GS - won't restore even though have run it several times. Have been without the phone for 24 hours now!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other. I did the software update on my iPhone 3GS and it won't restore. Have done it several times since last night. Linked up with iTunes (version 10.6.1) and when the 'restore' completes it comes up with the same problem and my iPhone just shows the lcon of the USB being inserted to the iTunes icon. HELP!!! Am without a phone!
Expert:  Randy replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.
This is usually just a glitch in the software and the iPhone needs to reboot, lets try and force a reboot. Hold the Power button and the Home button down at the same time until the Apple logo appears, then release the buttons and allow your iPhone to reboot, then it will be ready for use again.
...If that does not work try this please.
  1. Disconnect the USB cable from the iPhone, but leave the other end of the cable connected to your computer's USB port.
  2. Turn off the device: Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button for a few seconds until the red slider appears, then slide the slider. Wait for the device to turn off.
    • If you cannot turn off the device using the slider, press and hold the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons at the same time. When the device turns off, release the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons.
  3. While pressing and holding the Home button, reconnect the USB cable to the device. The device should turn on.

4. Continue holding the Home button until you see the "Connect to iTunes" screen. When this screen appears you can release the Home button:

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
    View Full Image

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
    View Full Image

Register Here
  5. If necessary, open iTunes. You should see the following "recovery mode" alert:

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
    View Full Image

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
    View Full Image

Register Here
  6. Use iTunes to restore the device.
  7. Select your iPhone, when it appears in iTunes under Devices.
  8. Select the Summary tab.
  9. Select the Restore option.
  10. When prompted to back up your settings before restoring, select the Back Up option (see in the image below). If you have just backed up the device, it is not necessary to create another.

11. Select the Restore option when iTunes prompts you (as long as you've backed up, you should not have to worry about restoring your iOS device).

12. When the restore process has completed, the device restarts and displays the Apple logo while starting up:

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
    View Full Image

Register Here

After a restore, the iOS device displays the "Connect to iTunes" screen. For updating to iOS 5 or later, follow the steps in the iOS Setup Assistant. For earlier versions of iOS, keep your device connected until the "Connect to iTunes" screen goes away or you see "iPhone is activated."

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
    View Full Image

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
    View Full Image

Register Here
  13. The final step is to Right-click (or Control-click) the device and choose Restore from Backup