Waitongu2
Waitongu2, Technician
Experience:  Android Root, Custom ROM applications, Blackberry platform, iPhone, tablets, PDA

I can not get my personal hotspot to work with wireless devices

I can not get my personal hotspot to work with wireless devices (IBM lap top and Kindle Fire. The wireless devices tell me there are problems with the password XXXXX the personal hotspot. I have changed the hotspot numerous times and still can not get the hotspot to function. It has worked very well for the past 6 or 8 months before it suddenly stop working last week. I was on the phone with you guys last week and have a case #XXXXX Many thanks XXXXX
Category: Smartphones
Expert:  AnswersByEric replied 2 years ago.

Hi and thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will do whatever I can to help answer your questions and get your problem resolved!

Is this the wireless hotspot that is built into a phone(if so, which make and model). Or, is it a portable wifi hotspot device?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the personal hotspot is a feature that can be activated on the standard iPhone 4. Note that my phone is not an iPhone 4S. The wireless carrier I use is ATT.

Jakc

Expert:  Waitongu2 replied 2 years ago.
I know you have done this before but if you could please try these steps as outlined here then we will be able to pin point where the error occurs if any.

Step 1: Launch “Settings” app from your Springboard or Home Screen.

Step 2: Now look for “Personal Hotspot” which is visible enough for you to miss. Tap on that to open its settings pane.

iPhone-Settings-Personal-Hotspot

This is the feature you can never find in iPhone 4 that runs on iOS 4.2 and lower.

Step 3: You simply have to toggle on Personal Hotspot switch to ON. If it is previously disabled, a window pops up asking you if you want to “Turn on Bluetooth” or “Wi-Fi and USB Only“.

Turn-On-Personal-Hotspot

Step 4: You will then be able to see the default password. If you want to change it for security purposes, tap on it and you will be brought to a new pane where you can easily change it. Just don’t forget to tap on “Done” button after.

Change-Password

Step 5: That’s it. Your iPhone will start transmitting signal that your other devices can easily connect to. One more thing, you will be able to know how many devices are connected to your iPhone by looking at the blue bar at the top of your screen; it indicates the number of devices connected.

Personal-Hotspot-Connected

How to Connect your Computers

With Personal Hotspot, you can easily create a smaller Wi-Fi hotspot in your home. Connecting PC/laptop is as easy as connecting to a wireless hotspot available in cafes, malls and almost other public places.

Step 1: You will be able to find a list of network services in your computer, choose iPhone.

iPhone-Connection

Step 2: Enter the default password XXXXX you haven’t changed it yet. If you did, then use the one set in your iPhone.

How to Connect Using Bluetooth

Step 1: You must pair your iPhone and your computer first before you can use Bluetooth to connect to your Wi-Fi.

Step 2: When you select iPhone from Bluetooth menu, a passcode will be sent to your iPhone. It is the same passcode that you can see in your computer.

Personal-Hotspot-Passcode

Step 3: After a few seconds, you will be connected to a hotspot.

Please let me know if you are able to get thru them.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Unfortunately, things are still not working. i can ste up and activate the personal hotspot on my iPhone with no problem. I can reset the password XXXXX no problem. My wireless devices (IBM laptop and iPad) recognise the the personal hotspot and give it as an option for connection. Now comes the problem. When I try to connnect by clicking on the personal hotspot I get a request for the password. When I put in the password XXXXX get a message that says "cannot connect. Check password". SO..... it appears that either the iPhone has some sort of electronic problem I can solve (however the phone works perfectly in all other functions) or I am somehow not correrctly putting in the password. I do hit "done" after putting a password XXXXX the phone and the phone shows the correct password. Any ideas?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

New update. I was able to connect the hotspot to the iPad using blue tooth. I have an indication on the iPhone now: "Personal Hotspot: 1 Connection". Will this bluetooth connection do all the things the WiFi connection would do?

Expert:  Waitongu2 replied 2 years ago.
Yes as long as the connection is shared and the devices are connected you should not see a difference maybe if sending or receiving large files.
Waitongu2, Technician
Experience: Android Root, Custom ROM applications, Blackberry platform, iPhone, tablets, PDA
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks. I am trying to give you a 4 star rating. I hope that message gets through.

Expert:  Waitongu2 replied 2 years ago.
The message got here. :-)
Expert:  Waitongu2 replied 2 years ago.
And Any 4 stars are always SMILED upon :) Thank you for your generosity.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have been trying to give 4 stars for the service from the expert but i am not sure the rating and "submit" button of your website works appropriately. In any event, the service was fine and the problem is now resolved.

thanks again