John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+Yrs in the computer/electronics service industry
60674955

all three have iphones, my daughter is all of a sudden getting

Customer Question

all three have iphones, my daughter is all of a sudden getting my wife and mines text messages. something to do with imessage?
Category: Smartphones
Expert:  John T. F. replied 2 years ago.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX self-employed tech, and I'm offering my time in good faith today to provide advice and information.

Does your daughter's iPhone share the same Apple ID as you and/or your wife's iPhone for anything?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

she has her own itunes library, but my account gets billed when she purchases? i think it is the same apple id. Today is the first time she has recieved our text messages? my daughter and i are verizon, but my wife is at&t.

Thanks,

my current thinking is this is some sort of oddity with iMessage using the same Apple ID on both devices.

Under normal circumstances, a message sent to an Apple ID would be broadcast to all devices using that same ID.

On your daughter's iPhone if you tap Settings > Messages > Receive At, do you see your Apple ID listed?

If so, you may wish to create a new Apple ID that your daughter can use for non-Store services.

If you have trouble with the following, do not click "Accept" or rate this answer yet - just reply back for further troubleshooting.

Please go here: https://appleid.apple.com/

Click "Create A New Apple ID"

Once you have created the new account, go to Settings > Messages > Receive At on your daughter's iPhone and remove your Apple ID. Then, add the new ID you just created.

Hopefully, this will result in the behavior you want/expect.
John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience: 20+Yrs in the computer/electronics service industry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My son also has my apple id and he's not receiving these messages.. and my daughter is only recieving messages between my wife and me. I have other friend that i imessage with and she hasn't recieved those. I would like to keep her with my apple id, because i like to track her using "find iphone" app.?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
didn't mean to accept yet
If following the procedure above, you are ONLY changing the ID for iMessage.

However, I can't tell from your response: Is your Apple ID listed in Settings > Messages > Receive At?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i don't have her phone with me right now, but i bet that it is.. so if we create a new apple id, then just apply it to imessage, but for billing purposes it will still go to my account?
Yes,

leave your original Apple ID in Settings > Store and all App/iTunes purchases will continue to go to the same account they have always been. You can continue to use this ID anywhere else, as well (such as Find My iPhone) and ONLY use the new Apple ID for iMessage.

This should prevent any texting confusion, if that's the problem. Most phones will default to sending texts to the phone number but iPhones can, also, send messages to/form the Apple ID and this is usually the cause for stray texts being received across multiple devices.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I think i have it. Any explanation why it just involved my wifes text messages? I think i hit accept?
Yes, it looks like you've already hit Accept. Thanks. :-)

The iPhone can alternate between sending text via your phone number (via your carrier) or via your Apple ID (through the Apple servers). If my guess is correct, the carrier SMS service may not have been available at some point and so the message was broadcast across the Apple ID.