Nick H.
Nick H. , Phones Specialist
Experience:  SmartPhones Specialist
63271161

Can't get mail to my iPhone. I deleted the Aol account

Customer Question

I can't get any mail to my iphone. I deleted the aol account and tried to set it up again. I got "cannot get mail The user name or   password   for "imap.aol.com" is incorrect. I checked on my desktop and I could enter aol with my email and password.

I have been unable to set up the aol account on the iphone. I then deleted my gmail account and then tried to set that account up again. I got the same message "cannot get mail The user name or   password   for "imap.gmail.com" is incorrect. I now have no way to get emails on my phone as I no longer have any type of account. What to do next?

Category: Smartphones
Expert:  Nick H. replied 4 years ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer.com.

Please reset your iphone. Go to Settings->General->reset->reset all settings(1st option). This will reset all settings on the iphone. Your data will be SAFE. After this, please remove all your email accounts and reconfigure them.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Didn't work. I put the info in; it says it's verifying; comes back with CANNOT GET MAIL The use name or password ***** "imap.aol.com" [or "imap.gmail.com]" is incorrect. The data I put in is exactly what I use when I log in to aol on my desktop.
Expert:  Nick H. replied 4 years ago.
Please go back to your email settings. Make sure the user name = FULL EMAIL ADDRESS.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I did. I have set it up in the past and it worked. Only recently has it not worked. I get the message during the verifying stage.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 4 years ago.
You might want to restore your iphone. Connect to computer. Open iTunes. RIGHT CLICK on the iphone and select Restore from backup. Select the latest date and click Restore. Then try again. Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I did as you suggested and then changed my password (I did it only a couple of weeks ago) and all of a sudden all is working.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 4 years ago.

Thanks. Have a great day!