AnserGuy81
AnserGuy81, Senior Technician
Experience:  Helping Smartphones recover their IQ points for 7 years
19897260

Is there any way I can get my photos back after a "restore?"

Customer Question

Is there any way I can get my photos back after a "restore?" I had ITunes with a cord picture come up on my phone and Verizon told me the only way to get my phone usage back was to restore it, so I did and lost my pics. And, no, I did not send them to the "cloud"
Category: Smartphones
Expert:  Michelle-Mod replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find an Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No response...pretty disappointed at this time.
Sharon
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Additional information? How about any info?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Is anyone going to reply? Or do I just say I wasted my money!!!

Sometimes, finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly

Expert:  AnserGuy81 replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer.com

My name is Dustin and I am here to help!

My apologies that no one has gotten to you sooner. If you still need help, here is what we need to do.

Connect your iphone to your computer..

Then,, start itunes..

Then, inside itunes on the left under The " devices " section.. You should see your phone listed..

Right click your phone, Then, hold down the shift key and left click restore.

This should show you a choice of restore dates.. Choose a date that was before your pictures dissapeared.

Once you restore to that date, your photos & etc should be back in place.

If you run into any issues, or have any further questions please send me a reply to let me know!

Thanks..

D.Sandlin
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Pictures did not return....I restored from a year ago...any more ideas?

I had lots of pics....they have to be somewhere!!
Thanks,
Sharon
A year ago was a long way back Sharon..

Did you have all the pictures that you lost yesterday, on the date you restored to a year ago?

We want to choose a date that was a day or two, maybe a week before the photos dissapeared! Please try the restore again, and choose a date thats a little closer to the day the photos were removed.. ( Closer to, but not after the photos were deleted)

Let me know if this helps at all.. Thanks!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I restored another date....in Feb. this year....I only had two to pick from...the one last April and the one in Feb. Still, no pics from my trip to Hawaii, etc. that were taken in October.
Any more suggestions where they may be hidden?
Sharon
Question.. Just to verify , when we were doing this restore.. You were doing the restore through Itunes correct?

And also, your iphone is the only apple device ( phone, ipod, ipad) that connects to this specific computer with itunes, correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I did both restores through iTunes.
My iphone is the only one on this computer.

Help!!!
Sharon
I know your pictures are important, so we should try to recover them another way.

This may not work, but theres a small chance it could.

1. Download and install iExplorer, a free Windows utility that lets you access your iDevice in the same way you'd access, say, a flash drive.

2. Run iExplorer, then connect your iPhone or iPad to your PC via its USB cable. The program should immediately detect the device and provide you with a Windows Explorer-like view of its contents (mostly file folders). I should note right here that if you navigate to Media/DCIM/Apple###, you should see your missing photos. Feel free to copy them to your desktop if you want an immediate backup/rescue.

3. You're now going to locate four files. Each one should be dragged out to your desktop (effectively making a backup copy), then deleted within iExplorer (i.e. deleted from your iDevice). These are the files:

/Media/DCIM/.MISC/Info.plist

/Media/PhotoData/MISC/DCIM_APPLE.plist

/Media/PhotoData/Photos.sqlite

/Media/PhotoData/PhotosAux.sqlite

4. After you've deleted all four files from your device, close iExplorer, unplug your USB cable, and then reboot your iPhone. (That's done by holding down both the Power and Home buttons for several seconds, until you see the Apple logo.)

After the reboot, head to the Photos app and check your Camera Roll. It may take a minute or two for all the photos to reappear--but they should show up.

Read more: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-57324199-233/how-to-restore-photos-lost-after-installing-ios-5/#ixzz1oTUWpvDq

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No pics...well...only the three that are on the iphone now.

Thanks.

Were you able to follow along with the steps, and view the files on the iphone through the program?

Or did you run into issues setting it up?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I followed along on the page u sent, but my files didn't match-up to the ones you posted. I took them out of iExplorer, put them on the desktop, plugged in my phone, deleated them from iExplorer, rebooted my phone, only to see the three photos that have been on there since I started all this mess. The three photos were in the DCIM/Apple file also. No sign of the runaways!!!
Sharon
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Any new ideas?
Question.

you mentioned before that you did not send them to the cloud.. But its possible your phone could have been set to back up your photos to the cloud without you knowing.

Did you already check your icloud storage yet?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, haven't checked the cloud...I don't know how and I'm almost sure it wasn't connected. I'll try that.
Lets check that option then, as we dont want to leave it out just in case..

Settings > iCloud > Storage & Backup.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I went to Settings>icloud>storage and backup
icloud backup was "on" said that total storage was 5.0 GB and I have 4.9 available.

So, how do I see what is there?
100 megabytes of backup could be your pictures.. about , 100-150 pictures if it was all pictures..

Y ou mentioned before you had lots of pictures though.. So that makes it seem as if thats not enough data..

Question, were your missing photos only stored on this one iphone?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I had purchased a flash drive to put them on and did not get around to it.....dumb, dumb! Now I am suffering the consequences!
Thanks..

Were running out of rope pretty fast with this issue.. One of the last questions I have to ask is..

At anytime.. ( before the pictures dissapeared)

Did you sync your iphone to any other computer? Or..

Was this the only computer that you ever connected a usb cord from phone to computer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, this was the only computer that I connected to my phone.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So, I guess this means no photos coming back to me. A wasted $39a hard lesson to learn.
Yes.. Unfortunately when Verizon told you to restore the phone.

They doomed y our pictures.

The next time you have any technical issues with y our phone, I hope you ill avoid verizon support as they shouldnt have told you a restore was the only way.. And they should have warned you about you apps and photos getting deleted if you did so.