MobileDeviceXpert
MobileDeviceXpert, Mobillity Eng III
Experience:  Expert in BlackBerry / IOS devices with 10+ years exp

how can I retrieve deleted iMessages and SMS?

Customer Question

Category: Smartphones
Expert:  Michelle-Mod replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find an Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I am still waiting for an answer. My question is.clear enough for anyone familiar with iPhone 4s
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Still waiting for an answer or a specific question from you

Sometimes, finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly

Expert:  MobileDeviceXpert replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for using JA, my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with your question.

If you have performed a restore from back up and the messgaes are not there then there is no real way to get them back without going outside the realm of Apple and using third party applications.

Some have tried:

Decipher tools and state its free and lets you see if your deleted sms messages are recoverable. http://www.deciphertools.com

Others have tried:

"Undelete SMS" on a jailbroken iPhone. It's not a free program and it does not work everyone.

Here is a video

Yes there are many. The point being - this is a lastr resort solution and not for wevery one.
The best measure you can take is to backup daily in the event it happens again.

Let me know what further questions you may have.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your answer but what I do not understand is why the big bulk of messages up to the last backup a couple of days earlier did not reappear after the restore. Is there something special in the post- restore steps that I might
Have done wrong?

What type of restore did you perform? Full or partial since the last backup?

Thanks,

Stefan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I clicked the "Restore" button in iTunes on the computer and chose the Iphone 4S - I don't recall that I had a choice of full or partial restore,I could only chose between the date of the latest backup and an older one. I chose the most recent one.
Thanks
Heinz/Customer
So I understand you correctly. In your last backup dated so many day you selected imessages and SMS and performed an incremental backup, Then at some point in the past day or so you deleted your messages by mistake. Then when you went to do a restore of the last backup you did which would only include messages from the day you backed up prior, those messages were not in the restore. Of course any new message, from last backup till present would not be part of the restore because they were never backed up.

Is a correct account of what has happened?

Thank,
STEFAN
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry Stefan but no - there is no way for selective iPone backups as you mentioned ( "you selected imessages and SMS and performed an incremental backup") The only way iPhones work is either by SYNC (which does a backup and then a sync of Music Apps etc.) but where you CANNOT select SMS or iMaessages - that is not a function Apple provides as all iPhone users regret. uhen there is the RESTORE procedure where the iPhone is completely emptied of its software, settings retyrned to factory, and all data erased (music, apps, etc. and probably SMS and iMaessage archives but that I do not really know as I am just a user and not an expert) and then one is given the option to reinstall all the content - again no choices/selectivity possible as far as i know. I once did that and got the entire SMS and iPhone archives reloaded up to the date of the last Sync/backup which I chose to do automatically over WiFi. So when I mistakenly deleted all iMessages and SMS archives for ONE CONTACT, these did not come back after the RESTORE although all the others (not deleted) SMS and iMessages 5 TO/FROMwith ALL MY OTHER CONTACTS did. Please tell me if you are truly an expert in iPhone 4S (allowe to mention that I have a doubt in view of the questions you asked) because otherwise we are both wasting our time.
Thanks
Heinz/chicvis
hi, actually i am an expert in ios, and blackberry devices. I am trying to understand what you are asking and asking in a way to get information. I have asked the questions the way i have for a reason . The answer i gave you to your question which was correct. Your question was

The answer is you really cant. Which is what i stated to begin with unless you go outside the normal boundaries. The question was not regarding backup and restore to itunes. However, I was trying to help further. In doing so, it seems that i have miscommunicated my intent.

The answer remains the same, if they were removed or deleted you need to get tird party software as they cant be restored.

Thanks,

To answer you additional questions,

If you use Itunes to backup which in your case you do in the the reason why everything came back but the one contact is that it will only restore what you sync and since that contact is no longer there , there is nothing to sync for that contact but all the rest are and thus they sync from your library since last backup since they are still on the iphone. the contact you deleted s not thus no sync and no way to restore just that data .

For further details,

This is what gets backed up

SMS and MMS (pictures and video) messages.
Application settings, preferences, and data, including documents.
Autofill for web pages.
CalDAV and subscribed calendar accounts.
Calendar accounts.
Calendar events.
Call history.
Camera Roll (Photos, screenshots, images saved, and videos taken. Videos greater than 2 GB are backed up with iOS 4.0 and later.)
Note: For devices without a camera, Camera Roll is called Saved Photos.
Game Center account.
Home screen arrangement.
In-app purchases.
Keychain (this includes email account passwords, Wi-Fi passwords, and passwords you enter into websites and some other applications. If you encrypt the backup with iOS 4 and later, you can transfer the keychain information to the new device. With an unencrypted backup, you can restore the keychain only to the same iOS device. If you are restoring to a new device with an unencrypted backup, you will need to enter these passwords again.)
List of External Sync Sources (Mobile Me, Exchange ActiveSync).
Location service preferences for apps and websites you have allowed to use your location.
Mail accounts (mail messages are not backed up).
Managed Configurations/Profiles. When restoring a backup to a different device, all settings related to the configuration profiles will not be restored (accounts, restrictions, or anything else that can be specified through a configuration profile). Note that accounts and settings that are not associated with a configuration profile will still be restored.
Map bookmarks, recent searches, and the current location displayed in Maps.
Microsoft Exchange account configurations.
Network settings (saved Wi-Fi hotspots, VPN settings, network preferences).
Nike + iPod saved workouts and settings.
Notes.
Offline web application cache/database.
Paired Bluetooth devices (which can only be used if restored to the same phone that did the backup).
Safari bookmarks, cookies, history, offline data, and currently open pages.
Saved suggestion corrections (these are saved automatically as you reject suggested corrections).
Trusted hosts that have certificates that cannot be verified.
Voice memos.
Voicemail token.
Wallpapers.
Web clips.
YouTube bookmarks and history.

If you had IOS 5 then imessages are also included plus

music, TV shows, apps, and books you bought

Camera roll pictures and video
Device settings
App data
Home screen and app organization
Messages (iMessage, SMS, and MMS)
Ringtones

The following items are not backed up to iCloud. You can sync these items with a computer using iTunes:

No itunes purchases
Movies, podcasts, and audio books
items sync from your computer

Hope I have been helpful in addressing why the one contact messages did not reappear.

Thanks,

Stefan

MobileDeviceXpert, Mobillity Eng III
Experience: Expert in BlackBerry / IOS devices with 10+ years exp
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thanks

My pleasure. Thanks for sticking with me. Much appreciated.

Stefan