AnswersByEric
AnswersByEric, Developer
Experience:  Smartphone developer and software engineer.
57442719

My Samsung Galaxy S Is Not Connecting To WiFi

Customer Question

My Samsung Galaxy S has stopped connecting to WiFi. It appears to have "lost" its MAC address.

Category: Smartphones
Expert:  AnswersByEric replied 3 years ago.
  1. Open your WiFi Settings on the Galaxy
  2. Long press your finger on your WiFi network in the list until a menu pops up, choose "forget".
  3. Turn OFF WiFi on your phone
  4. Unplug your wireless router
  5. Turn ON WiFi on your phone and let it search for networks, not finding yours.
  6. Turn WiFi back off on the phone
  7. Plug the router back in and wait for it to boot up
  8. Turn WiFi back on, on your phone and allow it to find your network and then connect to it again.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This has not solved the problem. When I switch on WiFi on the phone, it scans for networks but then gives a message that it cannot scan for networks and turns WiFi off. As I said, it does not appear to have a MAC address. It cannot find any network, let alone mine.

• Click on the Home button at the bottom of the phone to go to the Home screen.
  • Click Menu
  • Click Settings
  • Click About Phone
  • Click Status
  • Scroll down to see your MAC address.

Let me know if you have one, or if its all zeros. All zeros is a much more serious issue.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
MAC address is "Unavailable"

That is actually fine. It should say unavailable, its just all zeros that could indicate a hardware problem.

We can try two things

First try this:

1. Go to your Settings.
  2. Choose Applications
  3. Choose Manage Applications
  4. Tap on the 'All' tab at the top
  5. Locate and tap on the network locations app
  6. Tap on the Clear Data button
  7. Pull the battery from the phone and then replace it and reboot it

Now try and connect to WiFi again.

If that doesn't work, then the last real way to resolve this, is to do a factory reset on the phone. Whatever system files are corrupted, causing your WiFi to fail, will be replaced in a factory reset.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Re-booting. MAC address still "unavailable" so it looks like a factory re-set. Just done it. I hate to think what I have lost!

Open your settings, choose privacy, then choose wipe data/factory reset.

Remember, this will wipe any data that is not on the SD card

If this doesn't work, for any odd reason, then there is an issue with your radio physically, and you will more than likely need a replacement. Good news is that it shouldn't cost you anything at all.

As long as you have a Google account synced to your device, your contacts, calendar, etc. will be re-synced to the device after you run the initial set up again.

As far as any data that is stored on the SD Card (images, music, etc.), it will not be erased. Only the phone's internal memory is formatted.

AnswersByEric, Developer
Experience: Smartphone developer and software engineer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks. Done it. Will have to restore apps.

Open the Market app, press the menu button on your phone and tap on "my apps". That way you can easily install the apps you had before.

Glad it worked!!