AOL Mail Not Working On Android Phone

Customer Question

I have an Android Phone and I cannot receive aol mail on it anymore. Verizon cannot help me until I get the Protocol info, server info, Port Number, Encryption type for them to help me. Please get me this info, or tell me another way to fix this. The phone tells me it can not authenticate my account, yet I can log online. Please help.

Category: Smartphones
Expert:  NYCDart25 replied 5 years ago.

Sorry for all for the trouble that you are having. This can be a pain and HOPEFULLY android will get easier to use in the future when it comes to setting this stuff up. That being said. Here is the info you need. The steps may be slightly different as I did it for my T-Mobile G2, but the info will all be the same.

1. Click on the email Icon
  2. Once in email, click on the menu button
  3. Select accounts
  4. Select add account
  5. You will have to fill out your email address and password and then click Next (incoming and outgoing servers are verified. You are done. Other wise click manual setup and continue)
  6. Select “IMAP Account”
  7. Incoming settings
    1. IMAP Server :
    2. Port : 143
    3. Security Type : None
  8. Go to the bottom of the screen and click “Next” (The Droid will make sure your login is valid)
  9. Outgoing settings:
    1. SMTP Server:
    2. Port: 587
    3. Check Requires sign-in
    4. Username = just screen name eg. If your email address is [email protected], just use Dan
    5. Password
    Save and You should now be able to send and receive email on AOL..

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

It keeps telling me authentication failed. Please verify your username/password. I haven't changed my user name, password or e-mail address. When I go into my e-mail icon, it says, choose a mail provider, then there are 2 lines: Exchange Active/Sync and Other (pop3/imap). I've tried entering the info in each and I still can't get through it. Will I have to cancel my account and enter it again? How can I do that?

Expert:  NYCDart25 replied 5 years ago.
IF you are trying to edit the account you already had listed in the droid, I would actually delete that account and then enter it all again from scratch and see if that works.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I wasn't trying to edit it. I've had aol e-mail right along. When I woke this morning, I turned on my phone and couldn't receive any of my e-mail, like I have been. I called Verizon and she tried helping me, but couldn't. I'm at wits end right now, I use my phone for work, and must receive my mail at all times. I'll try deleting the account and re-entering it again.

If I re-enter, I will need all the info you have given me to re-enter my e-mail, all the server info and everything?

Expert:  NYCDart25 replied 5 years ago.

Depending on the email app you are using, SOMETIMES all it needs is the email address and password, but yes, most likely you will need all of the server info I provided. Sorry this is such a pain and best if luck!