Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a xCaliber 3374, I had to have the engine replaced 70

Customer Question

I have a xCaliber 3374, I had to have the engine replaced 70 hrs ago and it was replaced with a 35hp BS, this is because the generac is no longer available. The bolt that holds the clutch on (to the crankshaft) back out and I am being informed by the repair facility that this either was loosened during a clutch bracket replacement, (which I replaced and did not touch) or it needs to be checked periodically with normal operation. Looking for a second opinion as I would not think that normal maintenance would require checking the crankshaft bolt to the clutch. Your thoughts?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old the engine is? And has it done anything like this in the past?
Customer: The replacement BS new engine has exactly 72 hrs on it since it was replaced.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I went to the Dixie Chopper authorized repair shop that installed to new engine to get the parts and they said that it should not have came out and asked me to bring it in, and then called me today to inform me that I or someone must have loosened that bolt and it would not be covered by them
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Only that I know without a doubt I did not loosen a crankshaft bolt to install the bracket that keeps the clutch stationary when it was replaced because it broke
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 11 days ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 11 days ago.

Sounds like BS to me! No way does the crankshaft bolt come loose on it's own, and regular checking of it is not necessary. I suspect it was not torqued when it was installed the first time.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I feel that way as well. I found a washer that was near where the mowing stopped and it had a 9/16 hole in it and appeared to be just a standard flat washer. The bolt that holds the clutch to the crankshaft is 7/16-20 and should have a 7/16 coned washer I would assume is to keep it snug when properly torqued on. This is according to the parts breakdown I found on Dixie Chopper. Does that make sense?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 11 days ago.

Yes, makes sense, has to be specail washer and torqued , to stay tight!

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
In your opinion, if a 9/16 washer was substituted in lieu of the correct 7/16 coned washer, even if torqued correctly it would not have stayed tight with extreme operation as we run this mower 8+ hours daily.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 11 days ago.

It likley would have come loose, as the large washer would not be centered, and could cause vibration , and a poor fit, which can loosen the bolt.