Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

I have a d100 deere mower that I can not get to turn over,

Customer Question

I have a d100 John deere mower that I can not get to turn over
JA: What's the make and model of the mower? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: 2-3 years old
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I'm trying, yes.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: It was left out all winter, with gas in it. I have already siphoned out the gas and replaced it.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I got the engine to turn over once and it was running rough, but I figured it might burn off the bad fuel and get better, but when I tried to engage the mower deck it stalled and now when I try to start I get one big click. I have it hooked up to jumper cables in case it is the battery.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It also whines a little bit.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The flywheel seems to move about an inch and then stops.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There was a faint burning rubber smell when it stopped. Does this all seem consistent with a drive belt snapping maybe?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 month ago.

Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 month ago.

The bad gas has very likely caused part of our problem. If gas is not stabilized, it will start to turn stale within 45 days, from the date of purchase. Stale gas will turn to gum and varnish, and eventually clog the small jets and fuel passages inside the body of your carburetor.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 month ago.

Next problem: If your flywheel is not turning freely after you hooked up your jumper cables, either your starter could be bad, or your valves could be out of adjustment.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 month ago.

Let's try something. Remove your spark plug, then turn your key, to see if your engine will spin freely.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 month ago.

You and I can continue from here. Thanks again!