Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

Put new pto on. put new belt on. tightened to max. belt is

put new pto on. put new belt on. tightened to max. belt is touching brake rod. afraid it will wearout belt. any ideas?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
42 inch deck
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
John Deere L111 Automatic

Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.

Does your belt touch your brake rod, after you lower your deck? Check to see if your brake rod is bent or distorted. Also, check the idler arm that your idler pulley attaches to, to see if it have excessive up and down movement.

You and I can continue from here. Thanks again!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Will not be able to check until Thursday afternoon. Will contact you after checking.

Thank you for letting me know. We can continue Thursday.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
belt touches at all height settings. brake rod is straight...not one of the new ones that have a bend for the new bigger spring. no excessive movement on the idler arm. installed new extension spring on idler arm. put cover back on the LH spindle(looking from the back). In doing this, I got clearance when engaging the blades.Got mower started and mowed part of yard. On blade engagement, getting a little squealing sound for about 3 seconds, then it stops and runs ok. PTO tension is set at about 3/8 to 1/4 inch...first time using any setting other than the factory setting...this however did not do anything to help prior to the new spring and reinstalling the LH spindle cover.

Thanks for the update. The squealing could be caused by a worn spindle pulley allowing your belt to run deeper inside the v-groove, than it usually does.

Also, check to see if you have a worn bearing in one of your spindle housings, or one of your idler pulleys. If one of your bearings are partially seizing, this can cause excessive drag on your belt, during start up of your blades.

We can continue from here.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How do you check for a worn bearing?

Remove your belt from your deck. Spin each spindle pulley and each idler pulley by hand, as you listen for a noisy bearing, and watch for a wobbly bearing.