Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

I have a 2014 LTX1045 and my PTO wheel is not turning under

I have a 2014 LTX1045 and my PTO wheel is not turning under the engine. Manual does not describe a PTO circuit but there must be something to energize/deenergize it.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old the engine is? And has it done anything like this in the past?
Customer: It is 2 years old and runs fine, plenty of power. I looked and when we engage the PTO lever there is no wheel turning under the engine, no movement
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If I can find the secrets of what makes it turn, yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: We have had ongoing issues with the deck as far as being loose, I just replaced the cale yesterday for PTO and it was sort of working before. Parts manual shows a switch in the right rear and a 100amp solenoid, so I am suspecting that but they give no wiring diagrams

Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.

I can help you with this problem. Does your mower have a lever that you use to engage your blades, or do you have a pto switch that you pull up to engage your blades?

If the pulley under your engine is not turning, this could indicate that the key stock in your pulley is worn, allowing your crankshaft to spin inside your pulley, rather than turn your pulley. You and I can continue from here. Thanks again!

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Donald, The LT has a lever used to engage the PTO. It also has a PTO switch that the lever butts up to inside the right hand rear fender. My best guess is that we may have damaged the switch when we were trying to get the lever to go back further, it only goes halfway. I checked and the lever when halfway is pressing the switch down, and when you go to engage it it opens the switch. The switch has 4 connections and according to the wiring diagram in its normal state there should be three pins shorted together (A to B to C) and when it is open, then it has 2 (A to B). My testing showed the switch is not unshorting Pin C, so I am assuming that may be the issue, so I am ordering a replacement, along with a replacement PTO lever, which I found one forum post that described the issue, along with the other symptom of not getting the dive belt tight at all when the PTO lever is engaged. That post claimed that the PTO lever should go all the way back, and it only goes midway, and the one p[oster said that meant it was bent, and he replaced it, and it solved the issue. I hesitate to look into the key stock until I replace the switch, lever and a OEM belt just to eliminate the first level of obvious causes. Then I will look into the PTO solenoid or the key.

Thank you for this information. Does your deck belt tighten at all after you move your engagement lever? I pulled up a diagram of your mower.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Donald, you can see the belt tighten, and the pulley move in response to the new cable I put on. Actually the PTO was working when we did the first test with the new belt and cable for the PTO, it was after I took the deck off and checked the belt again, and messed with the PTO lever that the PTO quit turning, which is why I am leaning into the switch being damaged by my efforts to pull the lever back past halfway. The PTO does not turn at all currently, which was a totally new phenomenon. The issue started with the mower deck basically stalling when cutting more than 2" of grass, and the belt for the drive seem very loose when the PTO was engaged. We had a similar problem with it last year which seem fixed by a new PTO cable to the mower deck. That did not fix it this year, it was still loose. My wife wanted me to go to a 101" belt vice the OEM 103". So, I am focusing on getting the PTO issue straight, but will change the PTO lever along the way to see if it addresses the looseness before going to a shorter belt.

Let's try something. Your engagement cable is attached to an idler arm that has an idler pulley. Your idler arm is suppose to move backwards to tighten your belt, as you move your engagement lever forward.

Move your engagement lever forward, then reach down with your hand to see if you can push your idler arm back farther to tighten your belt more. If so, then our problem may be cause by your lever being distorted. If not, then I suspect worn pulleys.

We can continue from here.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Donald, thank you for your time, and I have done just that, and it does move back some, and the only 2 possibilities I could see was either the cable stretched (which I replaced) and the arm bent, although I have yet to see what the arm can do if it was further back, but I will know more when I get the replacement arm and see if there is indeed a difference.If not, then I have to look at the deck itself, and see if there is some issue not allowing it to retract completely. That was what I was looking at when I saw the PTO pulley was not turning when engaged and I had to go down that rabbit hole. Thanks for your time and advice.

You are very welcome!

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Still waiting on parts to arrive and will get back to you.

Thanks for the update.

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Donald, I have fixed it. It was the switch being bad causing the PTO not to turn, and the PTO lever being bent that did not make the drive belt tight enough to run. We think it has been that way since we bought it 2 years ago, and never noticed the PTO lever was not back far enough, because it always was where it was. The takeaway for Cub Cadet is: 1. Go to the most obvious probable cause (the switch was directly tied to the lever, and probably got damaged in trying to see what was up with the lever, since it pulled against the switch). Cub Cadet has a cable that goes to the drive pulley to tighten it, either the cable can stretch, or the lever be bent and cause loose belt issues. The lever MUST go fully back in the slot for normal operation, anything less means it is bent and not exerting full tautness on the drive. My wife says it now runs the best it ever has, and does not slip or bog down.

Awesome! Thanks for letting me know. I do hope all continues to go well for you. Thanks for the positive rating.