Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

We have recently bought an American RV with a Onan Quiet

Customer Question

We have recently bought an American RV with a Onan Quiet generator. Have run it over the winter, but this is our first road trip (in Brittany at present)..
JA: What's the make and model of the generator? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Went to check levels any weekend and noticed a whitish, snotty slime floating on top of tank. Removed it by soaking it off with paper. Slimy to touch but not oily. Is it anything to worry about?
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Think generator is original. Coach is 2007. It is an Onan Quiet Diesel 8000, and hope to sort out ourselves if it is something simple.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Such as?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

You didn't say what tank you noticed this slime in. I am assuming it is the coolant reservoir?

If so, the slime could be 1 of 2 things:

1. Dirty antifreeze. Antifreeze contains cleaners that degrade over time. This is why it is recommended to change the coolant at recommended intervals - not because it won't cool any more, but because the detergents degrade and can no longer clean. To remedy this, you will need to drain, flush and refill the cooling system. Not doing so can result in a clogged radiator.

2. Oil in the antifreeze. This can be the result of several things, such as a cracked head, cracked block, or blown head gasket. Any of these will usually also result in antifreeze in the oil. This will be evident by a white foamy color of the oil.

The old, dirty antifreeze is the most likely culprit. Flush the cooling system and change the antifreeze. If this does not help, you will need to have the engine pressure tested to check for cracks.

Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 month ago.

Was this what you wanted to know?