Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

HOW DO iPURGE THE TRANSMISSION ON A cRAFTSMAN 24.0 hp LAWN

Customer Question

HOW DO iPURGE THE TRANSMISSION ON A cRAFTSMAN 24.0 hp LAWN TRACTOR, MODEL 917.28856
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: Since mowing season started a month ago. Will not pull hills, even slight ones.
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: All that is good. This happened last year, also; Sears told me to purge xmission. Did so, worked until this year. Can't find directions for doing it again. Simple procedure, just need to know the proper steps.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes. Did it last year.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Don't think so.
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 7 days ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 7 days ago.

Sounds more like a transmission that needs oil, than a purging problem. Purging you just raise the wheels and slowly work unit forward and reverse , until the wheels start to move. I would try adding some oil to the unit. 15W50 engine oil, and you may have to find the vent on top of the transmission and remove to add. Only add about a cup of oil. Then try it.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 days ago.

I see question is still open, did you see my response? Please rate to close question and get me credit! Thanks.