Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Have Yamaha YG6600DE bought in 99' or 2000 and has been used

Customer Question

Have Yamaha YG6600DE bought in 99' or 2000 and has been used around one hundred hours for well pump when power goes out in storms. Revved it up a couple days ago to and ran fine but when I tried to start it when I needed it it ran rough, back fired and stopped running after a few minutes of rough running. Also low idle switch or ? has not worked since year two of use. I Always have ran it dry and cannot figure what's wrong with that feature,
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: Shut off valve is off now and have new clean fuel in it. Is it possible air filter clogged? Also drained ball cock by remov
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Just a new air filter and spark plug which has never been changed and is dirty. That is all my skills provide. Cleaning or replacing carb? maybe but would rather hire that out
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I took off the fuel cock plastic nut off bottom but found no gasket or anything that came out of of the bottom.
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 9 days ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 9 days ago.

Remove the spark plug and put finger with rag over the spark plug hole and crank, to see if it has enough compression to move your finger. If no compression, it has a stuck valve. If it has compression , check the spark plug by grounding it to the metal of the engine while cranking. If it has spark, put a teaspoon of fuel into the spark plug hole, re-install the spark plug and see if it will start. If it starts and dies, it is carburetor probelm.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 days ago.

I see question is still open, did you see my response?