Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

WHAT IS 1902 UNDER VOLTAGE and what does it take to fix

Customer Question

Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I didn't understand what or how it works. I have a generac whole house stand by generator and I have a 1902 code how do I fix it for my customer Wires seem to be tight do I have a gas problem its natural gas fuel I didn't install it someone else did
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

What are the model and serial numbers of the genset?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
model(###) ###-####serial
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 month ago.

OK.

Code 1902 is Under Voltage. It means that the genset is not producing enough AC voltage. This could be a rotor or stator issue, or a bad controller - all very expensive parts.

This unit is still under warranty until July 31, 2019. The best course of action here would be to contact an authorized Generac technician to have this repaired under warranty.

If you attempt to fix this yourself, you will void the warranty, and will be responsible for the cost of any parts.

If you don't care about a warranty, and want to buy your own parts, I will need a statement from you acknowledging that you understand that you will be voiding your warranty.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
rotor and stator are inside the motor correct the controller is on top the circuit board correct
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 month ago.

The rotor and stator are the main parts of the generator, and the engine is the third main part of the genset. The controller is what you are referring to as a circuit board.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
IM NOT TRYING TO BE STUPID WHEERE is the rotor and stator located
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
is there a way to check them before its just parts changing
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok I know the rotor and stator are parts of the motor, is there any way of checking the controller to see if thats not working correctly or if it is working correctly
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 month ago.

The rotor and stator are not parts of the motor. The rotor and stator are the main parts of the generator.

The controller has no direct test. You rule out everything else first, and if no problem is found, then you replace the controller.

Yes the rotor and stator can be tested, but by digging in to the unit that deep, you will void your warranty.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I've been calling the generator the motor Sorry I don't want to open that can of worms its like taking a motor apart so I was hoping to rule out controller but you said there isn't a test so I'm stuck now,
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 month ago.

If you need help finding an authorized technician, let me know your ZIP code.