Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

Question is on troubleshooting a 18kw onan dn series

Question is on troubleshooting a 18kw onan dn series generator. No power appearing at F1 fuse although power on the ECM module.
JA: What's the make and model of the generator? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: It's a 1998 model, I think.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If it is plug and play relay or board replacement yes. Byeond that, no.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: We have full set of manuals but there is no detail on this issue. We were able to verify battery voltage to the ECM board but no lights come on at all and there is definitely no power to the F1 fuse whiich is the first thing the troubleshooting guide said to check.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

What is the full model number of the genset?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hello,Here's all I've got. From the Service Manual, I've also determined that it is a Series B if that matters to my issue;20KW ONAN DIESEL GENERATOR
>
> -Mfg. 1997
> -Model Number: 20DNAF
> -Serial Number: F978640059
> -Spec: 84467A
> -Standby Rated
> -20 kw / 20 kva @ 1.0 PF Single Phase
> -20 kw / 25 kva @ 0.8 PF 3 Phase
> -Currently Setup 120/240 Volt Single Phase
> -12 Lead Reconnectable
> -60 Hertz, 1800 RPM
> -12 Battery Volts
> -Powered by a 4 Cylinder Turbocharged Lister Petter Diesel Engine
> -Skid-Mounted, Radiator Cooled, Weatherproof Enclosure -Approx. 100
> Gallon Tramont Closed Top Diked Base Fuel Tank (UL Listed) -Control
> Panel
> -70 Amp 3 Pole Circuit Breaker
> -Mechanical Fuel Pump
> -Jacket Water Heater
> -Alternator
> -Muffler (Mounted Inside Enclosure)
> -Dimensions: 60"L x 28"W x 66"H

Fuse F1 is powered through relay K11 pnly while cranking and running. You must check it while cranking. If no power while cranking, check relay K11 to make sure you have power going in on pin 30, and that the relay is working.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I responded to this yesterday but I don't see it in the thread.My genset normally has a flashing light warning when the main three way rocker switch is in Stop. If that light is not present either the battery is dead or there is a need for a reset. When in that mode,, there is no possibility of cranking. Both of these issues have been addressed and there is still not light, the reset doesn't appear to work and when the unit is set to run, IT DOES NOT CRANK so I cannot do the check you recommended. There appears to be no voltage on the ECM except on the input terminal and on the remote input terminal. I'm trying to troubleshoot which component / card is bad. I need help to troubleshoot when there is nothing happening from any position on the two rocker switches and there are no lights or other indications but there is voltage at the solenoid and at the two locations indicated above on the ECM.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hank, I got your request for additional funding. At this point, I've gotten nothing that I can use. I would be agreeable to bonus you if the problem is solved but not to agree to pay up front. How much are you asking for?

Which control panel does your unit have - the manual, the remote or the detector?