Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Bought a Troy Bilt 2410 last year, did not empty fuel tank,

Customer Question

Bought a Troy Bilt 2410 last year, did not empty fuel tank, and could not get it to fire, even with electric start. Changed spark plug, which was fouled with old fuel, still nothing. Drained old fuel out, took out carb and cleaned it, there was a little gunk in the primer line, cleaned bowl and jet put it all back together and now I got it to fire up, but only for a second or two. It will only run for 2 sec. and shut off, what am I missing here?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Fuel is still not going through the carburetor in enough quantity to keep engine running. Did you look at the needle valve ? Was it an all metal needle, or a needle with a rubber tip. All metal needle has a rubber seat in the upper housing, and this rubber can swell, closing the hole , from ethanol swelling the rubber. It may be restricting the flow of fuel into the bowl.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It's hard to tell if the needle was rubber or all metal, but the needle's body is all brass colored, and the needle head is black it could possibly be rubber coated. Assuming you are speaking of the valve needle inside the bowl

If it was black, it has rubber tip. So it has no seat to swell. But the passage could be plugged with debris, or the main jet in the center of the carburetr, where the bowl bolt goes, can be plugged.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am checking all these items will get back to you

OK>

I see question is still open, did you get it going?