JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

I can't get the drive train disengaged. The minute you start

Customer Question

I can't get the drive train disengaged. The minute you start the mower, it moves right away. Therefore I can't get the mower to idle.
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 14 days ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

Give me a moment to check a couple things and I will have some suggestions for you.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
OK
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Are you still there? KL
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 14 days ago.

On that machine there are only a few things that would cause this problem.

1. Broken idler bracket return spring which is causing the belt to stay tight all of the time.
  2. Sticking or hanging engagement cable which is not allowing the idler bracket to be pulled back to loosen tension on belt.
  3. Lost of debri built up under the belt cover on top of the mower deck.

If you haven't already, I would remove the plastic cover that is on top of the rear of the mower deck so that you can see and check these items.

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 14 days ago.

I am sending a picture of the system with this comment which might help you in determining the problem.

If you have trouble determining the issue I would start by unhooking the engagement cable from the idler bracket and see what happens.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
OK, but I am running out of light and it is getting colder. I will try all of this tomorrow. Thanx. KL
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 14 days ago.

Let me know if you need additional help with this problem. I will be able to assist you then as well if you need me too.

Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience using the star rating system provided.