Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a Toro Power Clear 418ZE Snow Blower that ran out of

Customer Question

I have a Toro Power Clear 418ZE Snow Blower that ran out of gas. Its (fuel tank) been refilled but I believe the fuel line froze. What can I do to unfreeze the line or trouble shoot. It will not start manually or with the autostart. Pushing the fuel prime button only causes fuel to weep out of the hose.
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 10 days ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 10 days ago.

Can you remove the carburetor float bowl and check it for fuel from the tank line, coming into the carburetr thrugh the needle valve. When you run out of fuel , any debris in tank, either catches in fuel filter, which it may not have, or goes into the carburetor. Do you have fuel filter? It may be where the ice is!

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I'll pull the cover and look.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 10 days ago.

OK>

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 days ago.

I see question is still open, did you get it going?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I have drained the fuel tank and ran the fuel through the fuel filter into a tank. It flows from there. I pulled the spark plug and it looks fine as well. When I prime using the bulb more than two times fuel leaks, which I understand to be normal. It still will not start. What should I do now? I'm not sure where the carb is and its definitely in a small area.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 days ago.

Can you put a teaspoon of fuel direct into the spark plug hole, re-install spark plug ans see if it will fire?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 days ago.

It it starts and dies, the carburetor has to be the problem!

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
ok, I will try that.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
it didn't fire up.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
could it be the spark plug? Why would this happen after running the tank dry?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 days ago.

Could be plug, have you changed it? Or the kill switch may be grounding out the spark.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I have not changed the plug. I can go get one. How do I test the kill switch?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 days ago.

You test for spark at the plug , by grounding the plug while cranking, looking for spar at the plug tip, it it has spark, it should fire, and shows the kill switch is not grounding the spark, No spark, then you have to remove the kill wire from the switch, and see if you have spark with kill wire removed.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Grounding the plug while cranking, do I rest the plug body on the steel motor portion?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 days ago.

Yes, plug has to be touching metal to spark.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
No spark
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 days ago.

Kill switch ?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Where is it?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 days ago.

Page # 9 , item 11, goes to the coil # 21. wire to coil needs to be removed and test for spark again. See manual above.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
ok, no spark with kill switch and no spark without kill switch attached. I tried with old spark plug and a new one I just bought from Home Depot. What's next?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 days ago.

Replace the ignition coil!

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
This just gets better! So could this all have been caused because the tank ran out of gas or is the timing a coincidence?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 days ago.

The coil and the magnet in the flywheel is all that makes the spark!

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
just bad timing not anything to do with running out of gas?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 days ago.

No, running out of gas does not affect the spark.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
ok, thanks. i'll order the part. stay tuned . . .
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 days ago.

OK< sounds good.