Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a Generac 8KW modelgenerator. It hasnt been running

Customer Question

Hi. I have a Generac 8KW model(###) ###-####generator. It hasnt been running for a while due to a dead battery. I replaced the battery but when I hooked it up all of the red lights on the control panel flash intermittently together. If I place the switch in Auto the green Ready light lights up but the other red lights continue to flash. If I put the switch into manual mode all I hear is a loud click like a relay or solenoid but the motor does not crank. The red lights are always flashing. I have to pull the main fuse to get them to stop. Any ideas?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Can you turn the engine manually? Engine is not locked? If you jump the solenoid will starter spin engine? Remove spark plugs if engine will not turn.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I haven't tried that yet but I will. But I don't see how that could effect the flashing light condition. The lights started flashing as soon as I hooked up the positive batt terminal, without the negative even being connected yet. It never did that before.

Battery is not connected backward? Lights should do nothing until both cables are installed.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
NO definitely not..I agree I thought that was weird too. Possibly the control panel electronics are grounded somehow and when I hooked up the positive terminal it got juice. Not sure but the cable lengths totally prevent the battery from being hooked up backward. The red is on the + terminal.

Had to be something to do with the ground! Or the lights would not come on. Is this a permanent installation? Check the ground connections , is generator grounded to earth?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it is a permanent installation. Its dark now so I'll have to wait until the morning to check if it is grounded properly.

oK>

I see question is still open, please rate to close.