Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I just got a 1999 EZ Go non-PDS golf cart.. having problem.

Customer Question

I just got a 1999 EZ Go non-PDS golf cart.. having problem. I got a 1999 EZ Go non-PDS card (with 1206 controller), mechanical F/R switch. Ive had it about 3 months, ran it around a little. It was running ok so I hauled it to the ranch last weekend. I backed it into trailer ok to load it. I drove it out of trailer part way, then it lost any torque and I pushed it down. it, it quit working and wouldnd go forward or reverse. Battery voltage ok. solenoid clicks and resents the battery voltage on both terminals when I push on pedel. I could not see any visible burnout damage to the mechanical F/R switch from looking at it installed. Didn't have any wiring diagrams to debug much more with me at the ranch. Again, it wont go F or R at all. Right before it lost torque I heard a pop, but I thought it was the metal on the trailer floor poping--so I just mention in case it tells you something.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Will he charger come on if attached to the cart? Do you have voltmeter t test with? Solenoid should have power on both large terminals , before the solenoid closes.

Jump across the solenoid and see if cart will run.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sorry--I don't have access to cart now. will go back to ranch in a week or so and try to debug. Unfortunately.
Buy it had been charging ok. After it died, I plugged charger in and the meter showed it was charging (best I remember).
Re voltage on solenoid.
w/o the pedal down, I don't think it had voltage on both terminals, and I don't think it had a 250 ohm resister across the solenoid. (unless its hidden somewhere. --n my other PDS cart, the resister is very evident at the solenoid).
could that be the problem? If so, is it possible it worked before moving it and quit?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
sorry if call doesn't make sense given I not at cart.
I thought you were requesting you would rather talk? whatever you think.

That is site trying to get phone call. I can call if you like! Here is site for typical trouble shooting. Just scroll down the site past the manual to find the troubleshooting, Look at the solenoid test.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
thanks, ***** ***** send the trouble shooting site again. It didn't make it in the reply.ALso, the wiring diagram you send does show a 250 ohm resister across the solenoid.
should it be visible at the solenoid?

Yes , resistor should be visible!

I see question is still open, did you find problem?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks for the info. I will be going to where the cart is this weekend with parts and will debug and hopefully get it working.
I'll let you know. From the wiring diagram and manual, I see the resistor and diode are supposed to be there but won't keep it from working so that is not the problem. I will put them on with new solenoid and replace F/R switch and controller if needed.
thanks pv

OK> Thanks.