JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

I have a Ryobi 3200 PSI pressure washer with a Honda Engine.

Customer Question

I have a Ryobi 3200 PSI pressure washer with a Honda Engine. I was having problems with it starting and staying on. Removed and cleaned out the carburator. Now the only remaining issue is I have to set the choke half-way between the start and run position. The engine shuts off immediately when I set it to run. I am able to use the basic wand with various tip settings but when I switch to the red surface cleaning spinning brush attachment it kills the engine as well. It seems like it can't fully throttle without dying.
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: Yes, I flushed it and added fresh new fuel with no ethynol.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Ideally, yes. Taking it in to the small engine place near me runs $150 just for them to look at it.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I can't think of anything else. It's a fairly new machine. It's the model that throttles down. I think that may have something to do with the problem.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 5 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

It sounds like the main jet in the carburetor is still partially blocked which is not allowing enough fuel to pass through it to keep the engine running without partial choke.

The main jet is threaded up inside the stem of the carburetor, once you remove the bowl take a look up inside the stem you should see the main jet and fuel nozzle, if you will unscrew and remove them, thoroughly clean them both and reinstall it should take care of your problem.

Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience using the star rating system provided.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi John. I already did this prior to and when I took the carburetor apart. I brushed the screw and the little cylinder with the holes poked through. Used a wire to clean through all the holes.

Did you clean the small hole that is in the center of the main jet? You can't get to it with a brush to clean it, you have to use a needle or jet cleaning tool in order to clean it.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I did but I guess it wouldn't hurt to try it again.

Based on my 28 years of being in the small engine repair business this is where I think your problem is. I think that the main jet is still partially blocked therefore you are having to run the engine with the choke partially on in order for it to run properly.