JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

Have a snow blower that is not working well, starts

Customer Question

have a snow blower that is not working well, starts sometimes, and other times not. Changed the spark plug and improved a bit, but not great. Do need to clean the carburetor? I neglected to drain the gas and oil last year. Added some gas additive this year. What are the steps tp getting it back in top shape?
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: Yes to all, now new fuel.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: cant think of anything
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 5 months ago.

HI, my name is***** will be assisting you.

If you can get it to start and run then I would suggest running SeaFoam through it. This would require that the engine will start. You will just add a couple ounces of SeaFoam to the fuel that is in the tank and run the engine until that tank of fuel is gone. The SeaFoam will help to clean the carburetor as it is running, it also acts as a stabilizer as well so that there would be no need for a separate stabilizer to be added. Since it is starting at times then it can't be anything too serious wrong.

Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience using the star rating system provided.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Where can I get Seafoam? Auto supply store?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no phone calls, just an answer

Yes, most any auto supply store or farm and fleet store will carry it.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
if it won't start, what then

Then I would remove the bowl from the bottom of the carburetor and drain the old fuel, while you have it off make certain to clean the small holes in the bolt/nut that holds the bowl on. This should solve the starting/running issues that you are having.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
when that doesn't work? Have I fowled the new spark plug? Should I replace that? It seemed to work marginally when I first did that.

I doubt that the spark plug would be an issue since you just recently replaced it. However it would be a really easy thing to check if you suspect it to be a problem. You can always replace it and see if it solves your problem.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
How do I check to see if this spark plug is good?

The only good way to check that is to replace it, there are a lot of different reasons as to why a spark plug may not function properly. It is hard to look at a spark plug and tell if it will work correctly or not therefore I normally suggest to replace it with a new one and then there should be no doubt about whether it will work or not.