JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

I have a Rounder skid steer with a BF Onan engine in it.

Customer Question

I have a Rounder skid steer with a BF Onan engine in it. Lately when using it, it will smoke very badly after a few minutes of use. It still runs good and doesn't misfire. Today I noticed that the exhaust has oil running down them. I have two vertical small tractor mufflers on it. The left side has the most oil on it, but the right side has some too. I appreciate any help you can give me.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 2 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

You may have already fixed or solved your problem. If the dipstick was not sealed properly it would allow air to be sucked into the crankcase which would then pressurized the crankcase and cause the engine to start blowing oil out of it. You might try running it for a little while now and see what happens.

This engine is normally trouble free with the exception of an occasional blown intake gasket(intake manifold to block).

You didn't mention any notice of power loss but a blown head gasket or partially blown could also cause this same issue.

Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks for the help. I will do that. The engine doesn't seem to have any real significant power loss. I will see if that solved the issue. It is going to take some time before I will really know because there is a lot of oil still on the mufflers that will need to burn off.

Once that you have had a chance to run the engine and check it out you can come back here and continue our conversation if you need to.