Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

I need to know Predator engines that are good replacements

Customer Question

I need to know Predator engines that are good replacements for the following Tecumseh HM80 engines: HM80155426L Ser 299D and HM80155459M Ser 2093D. They appear to be very, very similar engines. These engines have a tapered shaft. I will have a tech install them and cannot afford to make a mistake.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 2 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer. Predator engines aren't bad , harbor freight carries them . They are a clone engine so the biggest complaint is the carburetors gum up easily and rebuild kits aren't available for some , so I would run a fuel stabilizer in your gas can
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Both my Tecumseh engines (8hp) are on shredder/chippers (MTD and YardMan), they both blew up. I need to know if Predator 69730 has a tapered shaft and is a easy swap for the existing Tecumsehs. Can't afford to get them to the shop andy find out they won't work.

Let me look that up for you , but I may be ablegally to find a tapered shaft replacment engine for you . Most predator engines are standard keyed shafts

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What do you think about the following: 1150 Briggs-Stratton Engine MTD Tapered Intek Chippers(###) ###-#### Problem for me is that I have two to replace and this more than doubles my cost for engines.

Www.smallenginewarehouse.com sells tapered shaft engines and short blocks as well

http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/searchresults.html?search=Tapered%20shaft%20

The top one says it's for some mtd chippers