John Oliver
John Oliver,
Experience:  manager at White Eagle Ag and Truck Services
93794869

I have an old snowblower with a Tecumseh engine and had to

Customer Question

I have an old snowblower with a Tecumseh engine and had to remove the head to repair the Spark Plug Threads. Can I use the same head gasket to reinstall the head. Most parts for this engine are not available.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old the engine is? And has it done anything like this in the past?
Customer: The snowblower was built around 1975 - 1976
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: To my knowledge the snowblower was not used for 10 plus years until I got it started back in 2009. I have used it since then to last year when it would not start. I replace the muffler, carburator, and belts. It started and ran last summer when I finished replacing these items.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  John Oliver replied 3 months ago.

good morning my name is ***** ***** does the old gasket look? ripped and torn or all in one piece?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The old gasket is in good shape. It came off the head with no problem. I doubt it was put on with any type of gasket sealer.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
22 December 2016 08:48
The old gasket is in good shape. It came off the head with no problem. I doubt it was put on with any type of gasket sealer

it will be a gamble for sure. parts for that engine are hard to come by. dont use any sealer, head gaskets are never designed to have a sealer used. as a kid i used to reuse head gaskets and most of the time they worked fine

if you would like i can try and track you down a new one if you provide me all the ID #s on the engine

old timers used to paint the surface of the gaskets with copper. They now make that in a spray, sold at napa. if it were me, i would install as it is. if it leaks, we track down a new one or copper pain the old one

Expert:  John Oliver replied 2 months ago.

good morning! just a follow up to see how you made out. if you are all set i can close out the case after you rate the service

hope you had a great holiday

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I went ahead and installed the old head and gasket. Have not tried to start it as yet. You can close the case.Thanks

sounds good. as soon as you have a chance to rate the service i can close it up

thanks again