Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I bought a Kohler 20 KW generator about five years ago and

Customer Question

I bought a Kohler 20 KW generator about five years ago and I've changed the oil and filter every year and checked the spark plugs and replaced the air cleaner filter and it was starting up every week and running for 20 minutes to make sure it worked when I needed it to.Now, when I need it to run due to the really cold weather we're expecting, it won't start up.It won't even turn over. It's almost like the battery is dead,but it's only five years old and hardly ever has to work. What are the common causes of these generators to just stop working?
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: Yes,it runs on propane and the tank is 60% full.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I can't think of anything
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Do you have a voltmeter to check the battery? Battery 5 years old is past its life cycle! Battery has to be above 12.5 volts, and can not drop below 8 when crank is selected!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It's probably just the battery then. I checked the oil on the dipstick and it's at the proper level. I'll probably just go get a new one tomorrow.
Thank you very much for the information. This is pretty handy. It's the first time I've ever done this and I'm impressed.

Please use the 5 star rating to close and get me credit. Thanks!