Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have an Ariens snowblower with a 208cc engine which is not

I have an Ariens snowblower with a 208cc engine which is not starting. Have spark at the plug but won't fire. Thought I had drained all the gas last Spring. Guessing I didn't get it all out and gummed up.
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: Yes put a pint plus of new fuel in, gas on, choke on, key in, set to run. Has not fired. Plug is dry when I checked it.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Well... curious how difficult to clean the system on these units.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I am definitely handy and typically repair most of my equipment. Better woodworker than mechanic so looking for some guidance on this 208cc unit.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

If you have spark , remove the spark plug and put a teaspoon of fuel direct into the cylinder, re-install the spark plug, and see if it starts for a few seconds. If it does, carburetor needs to be cleaned. Yo may be able to remove the float bowl and clean the bowl and float with spray carburetor cleaner.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Not at the machine right now. I understand what you are saying and will give it a try this week when at the machine. After numerous attempts at starting last night I over primed the unit on purpose and had gas coming out of the push primer. I then drained the float bowl via the bottom plug. First gas out seemed thick and stale. Did that a few times trying to purge the gas. Will let you know what I find.

OK> Sounds good!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Long week of work. Have not looked at it yet. Thanks

OK>

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Removed float bowl, float pin was stuck, sprayed up, and tried. It fired and ran a couple seconds from the carb cleaner. Would not fire after that. Removed float again and took jet/venturi out. They were plugged solid. Cleaned, reassembled, but gasket on the float bowl had stretched/cracked to point I could not replace. No luck at NAPA. Went to dealer and took awhile but they were able to order a $18 replacement kit. Appears to be a special Ariens ICT engine vs. a brand name standard small engine... briggs, Honda, etc. Kit has not arrived yet. Found one possible internet gasket source for $3 but I need to measure before trying those.

OK>