Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have an Ariens snowblower with a 208cc engine which is not

Customer Question

I have an Ariens snowblower with a 208cc engine which is not starting. Have spark at the plug but won't fire. Thought I had drained all the gas last Spring. Guessing I didn't get it all out and gummed up.
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: Yes put a pint plus of new fuel in, gas on, choke on, key in, set to run. Has not fired. Plug is dry when I checked it.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Well... curious how difficult to clean the system on these units.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I am definitely handy and typically repair most of my equipment. Better woodworker than mechanic so looking for some guidance on this 208cc unit.
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 12 days ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 12 days ago.

If you have spark , remove the spark plug and put a teaspoon of fuel direct into the cylinder, re-install the spark plug, and see if it starts for a few seconds. If it does, carburetor needs to be cleaned. Yo may be able to remove the float bowl and clean the bowl and float with spray carburetor cleaner.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Not at the machine right now. I understand what you are saying and will give it a try this week when at the machine. After numerous attempts at starting last night I over primed the unit on purpose and had gas coming out of the push primer. I then drained the float bowl via the bottom plug. First gas out seemed thick and stale. Did that a few times trying to purge the gas. Will let you know what I find.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 12 days ago.

OK> Sounds good!

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Long week of work. Have not looked at it yet. Thanks
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 8 days ago.

OK>