Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

My Craftsman 3500 W Generator bought in 1999 has seen little

Customer Question

My Craftsman 3500 W Generator bought in 1999 has seen little activity and sat idle for last 10 years. Starts fine and runs for 8 seconds or so. New fuel line. Number on shroud( starter, Model###-##-#### Carbureator may be is suspect. What is carburetor manufacturer and is replacement available. Your suggestion most welcome. Peter V. Toronto, Canada
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: Yes fuel is running through new fuel hose OK
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I am handy and could clean carb if that is problem, but would buy new carb if available or reasonable. $
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: It starts OK, runs about 8-10 seconds each time. I have removed carb at moment. Have not tested if voltage is OK though. Gas is new
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 7 days ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 7 days ago.

How long after it quits, will it restart? Have you checked for spark at the spark plug, after it quits?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
New and correct # champion plug - start right away - qo seconds between starts - and runs for about 8-10 seconds and then dies as if fuel is not there / Peter
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 7 days ago.

It will restart after 10 seconds? Then likley is a lack of fuel through the carburetor.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
OK. Carb has been removed - can I clean it with carb cleaner and if so do I need any parts/ gaskets O rings etc.
Peter
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 7 days ago.

you can clean it and reuse the gaskets as long as they are not damaged. Here is a link to a new carburetor that will work, if you need it.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
The bowl gasket looks fine and can be reused. Are there Any Rubber o rings inside?
Do you suggest a new one if cleaning does not work because it is no longer manufactured?
How do I check if dimensions for mounting holes are correct with new one ?
Part B: I did not check the output voltage. If I have problem there can you assist in diagnosis?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
My engine is 6.5 HP is carb OK?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 7 days ago.

No on the electric end, I'm just an engine guy! The carburetor that linked shows it will work with your engine. Your's does not any other parts , and bowl gasket will be ok.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thanks Curtis - sounds like a plan. Can I return in a few days after doing the clean and if I still have problems?
How long do I have with just answer? Peter
By the way - is it a Tecumseh or a B&S carb?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 7 days ago.

Generac carb. Looks like Tecumseh! Use link in your email to get back..