Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

My Craftsman 3500 W Generator bought in 1999 has seen little

My Craftsman 3500 W Generator bought in 1999 has seen little activity and sat idle for last 10 years. Starts fine and runs for 8 seconds or so. New fuel line. Number on shroud( starter, Model###-##-#### Carbureator may be is suspect. What is carburetor manufacturer and is replacement available. Your suggestion most welcome. Peter V. Toronto, Canada
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: Yes fuel is running through new fuel hose OK
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I am handy and could clean carb if that is problem, but would buy new carb if available or reasonable. $
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: It starts OK, runs about 8-10 seconds each time. I have removed carb at moment. Have not tested if voltage is OK though. Gas is new

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

How long after it quits, will it restart? Have you checked for spark at the spark plug, after it quits?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
New and correct # champion plug - start right away - qo seconds between starts - and runs for about 8-10 seconds and then dies as if fuel is not there / Peter

It will restart after 10 seconds? Then likley is a lack of fuel through the carburetor.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
OK. Carb has been removed - can I clean it with carb cleaner and if so do I need any parts/ gaskets O rings etc.
Peter

you can clean it and reuse the gaskets as long as they are not damaged. Here is a link to a new carburetor that will work, if you need it.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The bowl gasket looks fine and can be reused. Are there Any Rubber o rings inside?
Do you suggest a new one if cleaning does not work because it is no longer manufactured?
How do I check if dimensions for mounting holes are correct with new one ?
Part B: I did not check the output voltage. If I have problem there can you assist in diagnosis?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My engine is 6.5 HP is carb OK?

No on the electric end, I'm just an engine guy! The carburetor that linked shows it will work with your engine. Your's does not any other parts , and bowl gasket will be ok.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks Curtis - sounds like a plan. Can I return in a few days after doing the clean and if I still have problems?
How long do I have with just answer? Peter
By the way - is it a Tecumseh or a B&S carb?

Generac carb. Looks like Tecumseh! Use link in your email to get back..