Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a 6.5 hp engine on a Troy-Bilt shredder that won't

Customer Question

I have a 6.5 hp engine on a Troy-Bilt shredder that won't start. I used it last fall and it started fine. What could have changed?
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: Fuel is in the tank. Half is left from last fall. The rest is from this fall. To my knowledge there is not a shut-off valve separate from the throttle.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If possible.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: It fired a couple of times, but no more. Instructions say to have choke on until the engine starts. I think that's all.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Can you remove the spark plug? With plug removed, was plug wet or dry? If wet, it may be flooded. If dry, no fuel to the cylinder. Ground the plug to the metal of the engine and see if you have spark when cranking at the plug tip.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the engine is a briggs & stratton

Yes, that was what i figured.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the engine is a briggs & stratton
Give me a few minutes to try that. I have installed a new plug.

OK, if it has spark, put a teaspoon of fuel direct into the cylinder, re-install the spark plug, and see if ti will start for a few seconds. If it does, carburetor is not delivering fuel.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the engine is a briggs & stratton
Give me a few minutes to try that. I have installed a new plug. plug was a little wet, but I don't know how much is too much. Also, I did not see a spark when grounding the plug.

OK>

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the engine is a briggs & stratton
The engine has always been a hard pull to start. I have a riding lawn mower that is like that too.

OK>

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the engine is a briggs & stratton
Gas is getting to the carborator float area.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the engine is a briggs & stratton
It must be getting some gas since it fired twice before, but perhaps not enough to continue running.

OK. I will be here.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the engine is a briggs & stratton
Tried teaspoon gas in chamber. Engine fired. not getting gas. now what?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the engine is a briggs & stratton
Did I lose you?

So it has to be fuel supply problem. Have you removed the carburetor and checked it for any gummy deposits? And checked the fuel supply passage the needle valve has to open and shut? If you have an all metal needle valve, there will be a rubber seat in the upper passage. This seat can swell and restrict flow into the float bowl.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the engine is a briggs & stratton
Did I lose you?
This will take a while, so I will have to get back to you.

OK> just use the link in your email to get back.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I cleaned the carburetor, and was able to start the engine. It ran for quite a while then quit. I'm guessing there is more impurity that needs cleaning in the carburetor. I believe you fixed the problem, but will let you know after this cleaning.

OK< let me know!

I see question is still open, please rate to close and get me credit! Thanks.