Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

I have a Jet Sweep Blower with a Briggs & Stratton 800

Customer Question

I have a Jet Sweep Blower with a Briggs & Stratton 800 Series engine. WOn't start. Worked fine last fall. Drained and changed gas, spark plug. Even used carb cleaner, cleaned carb bowl and injection holed in the cup screw. When I shoot carb cleaner into the carb it will turn over for about 5 seconds then stalls again. Don't know what else to try. Help?
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: Throttle is set to run and fuel was just replaced.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: if there's an easy fix, otherwise I'll have to seek out a repair shop.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not that I can think of...looking for additional things I might try to start it. Fuel did sit in the tank after last use last fall (small amount). Looked for a fuel filter, couldn't find one.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 6 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer. Do you know the model type and code ?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
See pics attached. Is that what you're looking for?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Looks like it says(###) ###-####F8Another number says 120129 88
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Might be 12T102 0911 F8

Ok is this your carburetor ?

https://www.partstree.com/parts/briggs-and-stratton/engines-horizontal-engine-with-recoil-starter/12t102-0911-f8-briggs-stratton-engine-rewind-starter/carburetor-fuel-supply/

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
that looks like the one I have.
Ok did the bowl bolt have any ports in it ?
Also holding the carburetor and looking where the air filter housing goes , it should have 2 ports you can see , did you spray those out ?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the bolt had ports and I cleaned them out. As far as the air filter side of the carb I just used the straw on the carb cleaner can and sprayed down inside the carb. I can look again and see if I can locate those ports. How should I clean them out if I can find them?
Yeah you are spraying them right . I would remove the carburetor, then disassemble the bowl , float, needle and pin . Then boil the carburetor and bowl bolt in a pan of water for 3 to 5 minutes , then remove it and spray it out with carburetor cleaner
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok thanks
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Also, Is there a fuel filter on this engine? I don't see one.
No there isn't but check the fuel flow with the carburetor off . Let me know how boiling and spraying it works . Also once we get it fixed please don't forget to rate my service using the stars provided
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok I'll let you know. Thanks!
Ok sounds great
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 5 months ago.

Hi just seeing if you got any further with the carburetor?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
As it turns out. After doing some more focused cleaning of the ports visible through the air cleaner area and several attempts at starting, it finally started long enough for me to manage the choke and throttle to keep it running and get it to perform! I was then able to use it to complete the back yard and it worked great. Haven't tried starting it since I turned it off. Thanks. I'll let you know if it refuses to start again.

Yeah its just the ports are still slightly blocked. Did you boil it yet ? Sometimes you have boil it 2 to 3 times but you are making progress. Let me know if it restarts etc and please don't forget to rate my service using the stars provided. Thanks