Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

Trying to fix my Troy built tiller / edger. I was using it a

Customer Question

Trying to fix my Troy built tiller / edger. I was using it a few weeks ago and suddenly could not start it again. Rope would not pull. Figure the rope was twisted around the spring cool or something. Took it apart and it was not, but every time I put it together, I could not pull rope? Even though I could when it was apart. I bought a new cover piece that includes the rope and recoil spring assembly, installed it and same result. I have narrowed it down to the clutch asssmebly piece that screws on the shaft after the new housing and rope pull part goes on. For some reason ever time I install this clutch part I get maybe 1 or 2 patrtial pulls and then it freezes up again? As of the clutch tightens itself against the housing or something? I can send pictures if that helps,
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 15 days ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer. What was the initial problem you were trying to fix ? . Have you rover the spark plug to see if it will pull further ?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Like I mentioned, it was starting stopping fine during use a couple weeks back. Then I went to restart and could not pull rope. It only binds up when I screw the clutch part back on shaft. Not sure what you meant there with the 2 no question but if we're asking if I removed the spark plug and tried pulling, yes I have. It pulls ok with or without the spark plug in. It only binds when I thread the clutch on. Can I send pictures in this forum?

Yes you can there should be a paperclip icon to attach pictures

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
This is the machine
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
This is the clutch assembly piece in the shaft
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
This is with the clutch off ( so I can pull rope freely and it does not bind or lock up)
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
This is the clutch off the machine next to the "drum" that covers it
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
1

If you put the metal square part down into the tines and turn it by hand do the tines turn ?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Are you talking about the square shaft that connects the motor to the "blades" and gear box at that bottom? If so, that has nothing to do with my problem the motor is not even attached to the bottom gear box when I try and start it. It binds up completely disconnected from the bottom section ( gear box, blades)
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Don't know what other square part you may be talking about?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Is that my problem? Should I assemble the whole tool back together before I try and start it? Does the clutch drum "cover" prevent the clutch assembly from tightening itself against the engine housing?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I just tried leaving the clutch assembly very loose in shaft and jnstalling the drum "cover" piece over the drum and then pulling the rope. This did not work either. Each time you pull the rope the clutch assembly tightens itself slowly on the threaded shaft from the engine until it binds up against the red housing and I can no longer pull the rope? No idea what going on here
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Spell check keeps changing my typing from "on" to "in" but I think you can understand my messages here. Sorry)

That clutch opens up as the motor turns rpms .I'm not sure how it could bind up from pulling the rope . If you pull it slowly does it bind up ?

The clutch assembly should be tight on the shaft

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I pull it slow. It doesn't make sense to me either? If I leave it loose and pull the rope a few times slowly I can actually see it get closer and closer to the red plastic housing where the rope coil spring is. Until it's tight against that housing and I can't pull the rope anymore? I even added a second washer behind the clutch assembly thinking it would prevent the clutch from rubbing against the housing but that did not work either.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I wish I could send a short video showing exactly what happening. I have no idea why this would happen out of the blue and persist even after replacing the rope / coil housing? The clutch assembly looks fine so I don't think it has anything to do with that?

If the clutch is opening up and cgrabbing the part that goes over it it could be

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
The clutch is not opening and grabbing the drum that goes over it. It happens without the drum in place. The clutch is tightening itself against the red plastic housing
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 14 days ago.

So if you tighten the clutch all the way up you can't pull the rope correct ? It's odd because the clutch has to be tilightened up

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
exactly. If I tighten it well to the red housing, I can not pull the rope at all. Or, also, if I leave it loose, the spinning action as I pull the rope a few times, tightens it until I can't pull the rope once again.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Like I mentioned, something else must be going on here because the last time I used it about 2 weeks ago it started and stopped fine maybe a dozen times. Then out of the blue, I could not pull the rope? I opened it up and and thought the rope was going to be caught on the coil spring or something but it was not. So I assumed it was something to do with the rope coil so I bought the new one and same result? The finally I figured out that the problem only arose when I screwed the clutch on the shaft. If I leave the clutch off, the rope pulls and retracts with no problem?
Ok , just a odd thought, what if we drill out the red plastic area where the clutch threads ?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I'll have to check how far up the shaft the threads go. Like I mentioned, it seems to tighten itself each time you pull the rope until you can't pull any more. So if I drill or cut out the red plastic housing, but the threads continue up into the housing, I think it will still lock up? I had the same thought I believe, that's why I tried adding a second washer behind the clutch hoping it would keep the clutch away from the red plastic housing more, but it didn't work. I'll take a look though
Ok let me know what you find
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 13 days ago.
It just seems odd this started out of the blue , does it look like the clutch could be a problem ? Is it coming apart and putting pressure on the plastic red piece
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 11 days ago.

Hi just wondering if you got any further with your edger