Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

My Craftsman leaf blower just quit running and now will not

Customer Question

My Craftsman leaf blower just quit running and now will not start. I've not been using Craftsman specific mixing oil. Could that be the problem?
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: Wasn't aware there was a fuel shut off valve
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: It's not very old, besides that, not really Do you need the model number or anything?
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 9 days ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 9 days ago.

Model number? Is it a two cycle, that needs mixed fuel? Or a 4 cycle? Does engine turn, just will not start? Have you replaced the spark plug?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
It is a 2 cycle 25cc gas Craftsman. Can't find the model number, yet but looking for it.
SN#13289N500432
Engine does turn, but won't fire. It actually quite right in the middle of use. I have not replaced the plug. Some think that it is because I run my Echo mixing fuel in it since all my other tools are Echo, but have never had a problem until now.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 9 days ago.

As long as the fuel mix is correct, it will not affect the running. I would check for spark and replace the spark plug to begin with.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
There is no spark. I picked up a new plug and still nothing. Hooked the plug up in the boot and pulled the crank and cannot see a spark. It's like kill switch or something is engaged, but not.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 9 days ago.

Locate the kill wire going to the coil, from the kill switch and unplug it. Then if you have no spark, the coil is bad. Be sure when checking for spark, the spark plug is grounded.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
No spark. Must be a bad coil
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 9 days ago.

OK. all that makes the spark is the coil and the magnet in the flywheel!

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Any ideas where I could find a coil for this thing? The sites I have found don't list it as a part to purchase
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 9 days ago.

What are you using for model number? May be called ignition module.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I will keep looking. The picture shows the correct unit, but not showing it in the schematic. Going to try some other sites
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 9 days ago.

On the one above, # 24 is the module!

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Also, after pulling the thing apart, there is a connector and a ground going to the coil from the kill switch, but also a third but short black wire with an eye terminal. Seemed to be just mounted to a plastic peg inside the handle. Would that also b a ground and shouldn't it be in contact with metal you think?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 9 days ago.

I would think it should be touching metal to complete ground circuit.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Yeah I was confused with that I will look at that closer. I would think that could be my problem but this think I'd like new. Wondering if a metallic piece vibrated away or something. I will look closer
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 9 days ago.

OK>

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 days ago.

I see question is still open,did you find place for the extra wire?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I have not. I thought it strange whenever I took it apart that it was fixed on a peg within the handle just under where the kill switch is located. But the peg is plastic, just doesn't make any sense. Maybe when I get back home I will somehow get a picture of what I'm talking about.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 days ago.

OK>There is an attaching link next to the typing bar. On my end, it is a tree or paperclip ico.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Ok thanks
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 days ago.

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I've attached 3 photos. 2 of them are they way I felt that ground with the eye type terminal was attached, on the same peg as the throttle lever. I could be wrong, but I can't seem to find where else it might go, certainly a metallic mount. The wire is quite short as well.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 days ago.

?? I see no pictures attached!

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Hmmm, I used the add files option. My last transition shows they are there on my end. I'll try and find another option
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 days ago.

OK. Did you ever try for spark with the wires off the module?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
no spark
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 days ago.

So have you ordered the new module?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Not yet. I will do it now. Was just a bit puzzled about this wire.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 days ago.

don't know about wire, but it is not going to change the module. No spark, with kill wire off, has to be bad!

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Ok will get it coming. Thanks for the help