Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

My ridged 6800 generator will not start. cleaned carb. seems

Customer Question

my ridged 6800 generator will not start. cleaned carb. seems to get gas fine.
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: thinking it might be something with the oil shutoff on the Yamaha mz360
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: the on off switches function normally(used a meter to check them) but I still have continuity between the ground and power line
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: will start with starting fluid for 3 seconds, but will not fire at all with pull start
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 15 days ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 15 days ago.

If it runs on starting fluid, it has spark s, so it has to be lack of fuel. Did you remove the carburetor and go through the needle valve passage and the main jet, the bowl bolt and the passage the bowl bolt screws into? This is how fuel is sucked into the cylinder.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I did remove carb.
seems like spark is low, and I have continuity between power wire and ground on switch.
Could the oil low shutoff malfunctioning cause this?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 15 days ago.

Remove the ground wire from the coil and see if spark is better. The wire is just for kill.