Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

My Kohler 27hp engine starts but immediately dies. I've

Customer Question

My Kohler 27hp engine starts but immediately dies. I've changed the fuel filter put more fuel in the mower and still no luck. the filter did fill with fuel
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: yes I just put more in and yes the valve is on
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: i was hoping to. my plan was to take the blades off, clean the deck and run it out of gas for the winter
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I have to start it with a screwdriver across the starter because the ignition doesnt work. at first today i had no spark at the starter. I charged the battery and now that part seems fine. it starts and stalls out right away
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 10 days ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

Can you tell me if the carburetor has a fuel shut off solenoid on the bottom of it? If so this is most likely your problem, if you aren't getting a constant voltage to it when the engine starts then it will shut the fuel off going through the carburetor and the engine will not continue to run.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
What would it look like
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 10 days ago.

The solenoid itself is about an 1 1/2" in length and will have a wire going to the bottom of it.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
there is one
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 10 days ago.

I would start by making certain that you are getting voltage to that solenoid all of the time when the key is turned on or the engine is running. If you are not then that will be your problem.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
How do I do that
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 10 days ago.

If you will unplug the wire going to the solenoid you will then be able to test for voltage at the wire when the key is turned on. You will need a voltmeter to do the test or check.

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 10 days ago.

Be certain that you set the meter to read DC volts and you should have around 12 volts on that wire with the key turned on.