JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

I am having a problem reassembling my Ryobi CS30 weedwhip so

I am having a problem reassembling my Ryobi CS30 weedwhip so that the starter rope can be pulled.All i have done is remove the rear motor cover,pulled the motor out to replace the coil.I took nothing else apart.The unit appears to only go back one way and when I put it back together the rope will not pull to start the whip.How is it reassembled? Can I get a diagram or some directions on how to put it back together?

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

Once you put the machine back together can you pull the rope at all? Or is it just not catching/engaging to turn the engine?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
The rope will pull out a little but no more. itis like it is locked up.

It sounds like it is getting jammed against the starter dawgs on the flywheel. When you put the starter cover back onto the engine try pulling the rope a little bit to make certain that the dawgs catch around the starter pulley properly and that should take care of your problem.

If you don't turn the starter pulley a little while reinstalling the assembly back onto the engine then it can jam the dawgs against the pulley and cause it to not work properly.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
The unit only goes in one way that I can see. I've taken it out and back in a number of times with the same result.I really don't know what else to try.I didn't do anything but replace the coil line up the ear on the starter pulley so it would go back together.

You are correct in that it will only go in one way. I just don't think that you are getting the pulley engaged into the starter dawgs properly and it is jamming the starter and making it impossible to pull.

When you say that you replaced the coil. Was it the ignition coil?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
How is this done?
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
The ignition coil

I am going to send you a picture of the engine on this machine, maybe it will help you to make certain that everything is back together properly. I am attaching it with this comment.

See if this helps you any at all.

When you replaced the ignition coil did you reset it or gap it to the flywheel?

What did you set it at?

Did you make certain that it was set to the magnet on the flywheel? If not and you set it to the opposite side of the flywheel then it would cause the flywheel to hit the new coil and not allow the engine to turn over properly.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
No It doesn't have any adjustment that i could see.It bolted down in one place.

You have to gap the ignition coil back to the magnet on the flywheel if you don't it can end up hitting the flywheel and cause the problem that you are having.

You want to gap it at .010 inches to the magnet on the flywheel. This is what I would check next since you say that didn't gap it when you installed it.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I'll look at it and see if it can be set. We are talking about the coil that feeds the spark plug?

Yes, it should be set at .010 inches to the magnet on the flywheel. If you don't gap it correctly it can hit the flywheel. Even if it doesn't hit the flywheel it may not spark like it should if not set correctly.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I think that may be the problem. I'll set the gap and try again. i'll let you know if this was the problem.

That will be fine. You can come back here at any time and continue our conversation if you need additional assistance.

Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience using the star rating system provided for you.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Thank you for your support.The rope will now pull.Now just to finish putting it back together and seeing if it starts.

I am glad that I could be of assistance to you. I hope everything works okay once you get it back together.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I gaped it at .010 and tried it.I can pull the rope but it still like catches and doesn't pull smoothly and won't start.I left my feeler gauge between the coil and the magnet so it shouldn't be that. Any suggestions?

You made certain that the clutch assembly was tightened back onto the shaft before trying to pull the rope? The clutch assembly is what holds the flywheel tight onto the crankshaft and keeps the flywheel key from shearing, if you tried pulling the rope without the clutch tight you most likely sheared the key which would explain a rough pull and non start condition.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I wasn't able to finish yet. I had surgery on my hand. When i am able I will finish up and rate you. Sorry for the delay.