Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

Husband trying to figure out s no start issue on generator

Customer Question

Husband trying to figure out s no start issue on generator onan gen 1 emerald who can he call to talk to about repairs
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Is the engine cranking over or is battery dead? Do you get any clicking from unit when turned to start?

When did generator last run? Gas or LP fuel?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Yea it cranks over fuel type did run last year tried to find wiring diagram for fuel pump

Gas I assume. Do you hear fuel pump running? If you remove gas line at carburetor, and turn on switch , is there fuel flowing to carburetor?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Fuel pump not operating no spark but there is power to solenoid to crank engine the solenoid small connector feeding the circuit board is hot but from board out there is nothing

Let me opt out, and see if we can get a generator guru , I'm an engine guy, and don't have the wiring diagram for the unit. I assume you have located fuses and they are all good. Sorry. Please do not reply to me, or it locks your question to me.

Expert:  Hank F. replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

What is the full model number of the genset, exactly as it is written on the data label?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Gbe nhe
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 3 months ago.

I need to know the actual model number of the genset. I can not help you without it.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Don't have that on hand motorhome is somewhere else don't have that on hand motor home is somewhere else does the circuit board feed the ignition and fuel pump
Expert:  Hank F. replied 3 months ago.

That depends on the actual model number.

The newer ones are powered directly from the circuit board, but the older ones are not.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Not sure on the year the motorhome is a 78 model Ford I believe it's an older one on the starter solenoid the small pole goes directly to the circuit board it's hot all the way to the board but yet the pump and the ignition will not fire fuses are fine is there any way to test the board
Expert:  Hank F. replied 3 months ago.

I have to know the model number to know which board it has in it.

I can not help if I don't know exactly which model genset you have.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Will have no tomorrow
Expert:  Hank F. replied 3 months ago.

Ok.

Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 months ago.

Did you get the model number yet?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
4obge_1r/26100e
Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 months ago.

That is an old unit.

That unit can have one of 3 different boards in it.

I need you to look at the board, and tell me how many plugs are on the board, and how many pins in each plug.

I know the plug on the right will have 6 positions, but it may only actually have 4 or 5 wires going to it.

It is the plug/plugs on the left that I need to know about.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK will have to look tomorrow power goes in nothing out does the board turn on fuel and spark
Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 months ago.

The board runs the fuel pump directly, but runs the ignition indirectly. It powers the coil, but there are other components that actually create the spark.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No power positive side coil
Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 months ago.

If you are not getting 12V to the positive side of the coil while cranking the engine, It can be a bad connection at the board, a broken wire between the board and coil, or a bad board.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK I'll give u wires in and out so u can tell me witch board I have
Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 months ago.

I won't be able to tell you which board you have, unless you have the old board that has 2 plugs on the left side. You will have to get the number off the board itself.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok
Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 months ago.

Did you find the part number?

Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 months ago.

Did you have another question?