Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Please our onan generator will not start this am. I checked

Customer Question

please our onan generator will not start this am. I checked the oil level,its at the add oil mark on dip stick ,
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: The fule comes from the RV it self. The it's three quarters full. It will try to start will not
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: No don't know how
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: It worked last night
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 16 days ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 16 days ago.

ave you added oil t brig the oil level up? If the low oil indicator is on, it will kill spark to the engine and you get no start. With oil level correct and still does not start, remove spark plug and check for spark with the spark plug grounded while craning

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
My onan generator will not start this am it working last night. Checked oil,it's above the add oil mark.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 16 days ago.

Ok do the spark test.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
What is a spark test.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 16 days ago.

Remove spark plug and check for spark with the spark plug grounded while cranking

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Need to add Oil what type 5-40 Or 10-30 the gen will crank but will not start. Don't know how to check the plug.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
5-40 is synthetic
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 16 days ago.

either oil will work, do yo know if it has synthetic now? I don't like to mix regular with synthetic. Do you know how to remove the spark plug?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I think gonna have to call a RV guy. Thanx we are not mechanics
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 16 days ago.

OK> Sorry.