Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a Briggs and Stratton 19 hp small engine in my riding

Customer Question

I have a Briggs and Stratton 19 hp small engine in my riding mower. It is leaking oil. I know where it is coming from but I don't know what the silver box is. Not able to find a diagram of the engine pointing out all the components.
JA: What's the make and model of the mower? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: It is an Ariens and it was bought from Home Depot last year.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If possible.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: If I had an idea of what the silver box is it would be easy to find what I need. I think i need a new seal.
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 15 days ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 15 days ago.

Engine model number? Silver box is located where? Pictures? Oil is not over full?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I'll need to go to the shed and get that information. The mower has been used for 2 seasons.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 15 days ago.

OK> I see lots of engines, but a silver box does not come to mind.??

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I'll take a picture and send
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 15 days ago.

Great!!

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Did you receive the pictures.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 15 days ago.

no, there is an icon on your side for attaching pictures. ???

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
The pictures are on my cell phone and I don't know how to transfer to the computer.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 15 days ago.

!! me neither, i'm still using flip phone! Tell me about the silver box, where it is located, and did you check oil level? Oil not thinned from gas in oil? Give me engine model number and I can pull up a parts list of engine.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
The box is located in the front where the air intake and exhaust pipe comes out. Oil was a little full and it had small air bubbles in it. Model number 93608300/A19A42
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
What am I looking at. It does not show the part I am having an issue with.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 15 days ago.

That is just one page, but if you look up on the page, you can browse all the parts sections of the engine. See if you can locate the part.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 15 days ago.

The silver box isn't the OHV cover stamped on it? Rocker cover?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 15 days ago.

1023 in link below.??

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
It is the head gasket that is leaking. You, as well as my daughter, helped me figure it out. She is an automobile technician. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 15 days ago.

The cover is the rocker cover , on top of the head. It may just need the rocker cover gasket. Thanks! Please rate to close.