Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I need advice on reinstalling a flywheel on an onan 2.8KVD

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, I need advice on reinstalling a flywheel on an onan 2.8KVD generator. I used a puller to remove it, but how the heck do you get it back on properly without cracking the flywheel? :)
JA: What's the make and model of the generator? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Onan 2.8KVD-2090A (Spec: A)
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I partially disassembled the generator to replace the carburetor, which is now replaced. Now, I'm just trying to get it all back together, but I'm stuck at trying to properly reinstall/reseat the flywheel properly without accidentally cracking it.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 6 months ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Can you explain? Is the flywheel and crankshaft tapered to accept the flywheel or is just a straight shaft? A straight shaft flywheel , can be cleaned and the crankshaft shined up with sandpaper to let it fit easier.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks Curtis.
The flywheel and Crankshaft are tapered.
I used a puller tool and impact wrench to remove the flywheel, now I need to reinstall it properly. I'm not sure if I need a special tool to reinstall it or not? I thought maybe using the impact wrench to reinstall the mounting bolt would push it back on, but it didn't appear to be working.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I would prefer to stick to messaging for now thanks.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
You still there Curtis?

With tapered shaft, usually there is a key that has to be aligned, key is installed in the crankshaft, and the flywheel aligned with the key, the the nut is tighted, should go on straight if the key is right, should need no special tools.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have the key installed and it's aligned properly. The problem that I am having is pressing the flywheel back on so thats is flush with the end of the crankshaft. How do I get the flywheel to seat all the way since it's a tight pressed fit?

If the key is aligned in the flywheel properly, the flywheel should almost seat itself, before you tighten the nut. Have you taken it back off and double checked the key and the alignment>

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it's still aligned. On this particular flywheel, the key is only about an 1/8 of inch or so and it's positioned right at the end of the crankshaft and is visible. The flywheel is about a 1/16th of inch from being fully seated flush with the end of the crankshaft. It's needs to be pressed on somehow. I'm just not sure how to get it to seat the rest of the way.

Why won't the flywheel retainer/bolt/nut pull it up flush? Flywheel has to be tight.??