Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

Toro 190cc Briggs and Stratton engine. Runs 15-20 mins then

Customer Question

Toro 190cc Briggs and Stratton engine. Runs 15-20 mins then sputters and stalls. Wait a minute or two and starts for 5 mins or so. This repeats. New gas, removed carb and cleaned, removed gas tank and cleaned, new ignition coil, new air filter, new spark plug, loosened and then replaced gas cap. Seems to want to recover if I tilt mower backwards as it sputters. Don't see a fuel filter. Not sure what else to check. Seems like a fuel starvation issue
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 15 days ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer. Does it have to sit andcool down before running 15 to 20 min again ?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
No. can start in one to two minutes. Then might run 5 or 10 more minutes. Sputters and dies
Where do you store the mower ? , how did you clean the carburetor?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
In outside she'd. Use gas stabilizer all the time. Took carb apart a cleaned. Also made sure there were no blockages. Followed several YouTube videos

Did you use a carburetor cleaner like gumout ? . Have you removed the gas cap ?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Neither helped

If you tilt the mower backwards when it starts to stall will it clear up ?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
That seems to help. I also get a slight ticking noise when it sputters. Not sure if it is a cylinder knock though
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 14 days ago.

Have you run a dry gas in the tank or a water remover ? .

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
always

Because tilting it back helps it run better whichales me wonder if it has water in the tank , water is heavier than gas so once it sits in the bowl it will roll around in there . Can you try this ? . Start the mower on flat ground , run it till it sputters and dies then loosed the carburetor bowl bolt and let some fuel drain , then retighten and see if it will start and run for a longer period of time

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I can try but I have always used dry gas. I have taken off the tank and cleaned. Replaced gas twice this year (and added dry gas). This actually started last year and had gotten progressively worse this past season. So it has not just started. I cleaned tank and replaced gas last year too
It's just odd how tilting it helps
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Haven't tried yet but wanted to tell you that the mower always starts within a minute or so. Then runs 5,10 more minutes. I know there was no water in gas. Use same gas in other mower.
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 13 days ago.

Well the next thing is check the compression and spark right after it dies , a engine needs spark , fuel and compression to rUn , so your losing one of them

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
How do you suggest I check compression
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 12 days ago.

You will need a compression tester , you may be able to rent one from a auto parts place