Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

Troy Built pressure washer 020489 with vertical pump RMW 2.5

Customer Question

Troy Built pressure washer 020489 with vertical pump RMW 2.5 G28. Intermittent pressure. Pressure stays constant if I have pressure upon starting it. But then if I shut it down pressure may or may not return Usually does not but sometimes it does. Checked outlet for debris, replaced AR42118 unloader valve, pistons are not bent or cracked. I have tried everything I can. It seems that if pump was bad it would never have pressure but I don't know. Prepared to purchase new pump but I am trying to avoid that. I have replaced hoses and gun.
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: yes
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If possible
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I don't know
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 6 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer.
Have you checked part f in the diagram . It has a ball bearing that can get stuckhttps://www.partstree.com/parts/briggs-and-stratton-power/pressure-washers/020489-01-troy-bilt-pressure-washer-3-000-psi/pump-316934/
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
If that is the detergent valve then yes. But how would I know if it is intermittently sticking and unsticking?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No thank you. Unless you can guarantee resolving my problem short of buying a new pump

It may open with water pressure unless it gets stuck . When you have low water pressure do you have water at all from the gun

The phone call offer is automated , just disregard the offer

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Always water from the gun, but not pressure. No drip after trigger is released. I took the pump off. Shaft key is intact

I don't think it's the pistons. Doe. It do it if it's running and you aren't squeezing the trigger for a minute or two

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
got pressure by squeezing trigger on and off just once. this has been going on for about a year. the only way I ever get pressure is either letting it set for awhile or constant restarts of the engine. I cannot find any definitive pattern or resolution. the problem of intermittent engagement of the pump is persisitent
It may be the thermal release valve part 56
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
thermal release valve ejects water after about 2 minutes of not pressing trigger.

So yours is working and ejecting water right ?