Mark Dotson
Mark Dotson,
Experience:  Master Service Technician at Mark The Mechanic
96841950

I have a craftsman mower with a 24hp briggs model #917

Customer Question

I have a craftsman mower with a 24hp briggs model #917 275670,s/n 031405c004147.what is the top no load speed for this unit
JA: What's the make and model of the mower? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: it is a craftsman.model no###-##-#### it is about 10 years old
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: i am a retired mechanic
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Mark Dotson replied 14 days ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you. Can retrieve the model number off of the engine? It should be located on the valve cover. The Model and code would be helpful. I will also research your Craftsman while you are checking that.

After researching your mower, you should have a Briggs & Stratton model 123K02-0511-E1.

If you do have this 12000 series engine, 3,600 rpm should be a Top No Load setting for your motor.

If this concludes our troubleshooting, please rate my response. If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask. My goal is to do my best to help you remedy your small engine problem and continue to keep my high rating as a Technician.