Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a 12hp &S engine that when i start it it runs up to

Customer Question

i have a 12hp B&S engine that when i start it it runs up to full throttle. the throttle lever and push pull on the carberator moves but the engine continues to run full....
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 7 months ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Check the throttle lever to the flap in the carburetor, I have seen throttle lever to break, or the flap to come off the shaft, both causes engine to run full throttle. If throttle is ok, see if you can control the throttle manually and if the governor linkage has any feel, push, pull from it. Governor with no feel or push/pull, would mean the governor insdie the block would have broken parts. Give me model numb r of the engine and we can find a parts breakdown of the governor.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The model is 282707 type 0026-01...when i mive the throttle the throttle plate choke plate inside the carb moves to full closed when i stop the engine or full when the throttle is in run
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It full open

It should be closed and open as engine starts.??

per link above, are all the springs and links in place?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
when the throttle is in run it is open and closed when i go to stop engine....
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the springs extend and contract when i move the throttle, a lever moves forward and back as i move the throttle and the flap moves

Is engine over speeding or just going to the governor setting? On a mower?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
when i start the engine it goes to full throttle even if i pull the throttle to idle....if i want to stop the engine i go to full choke stop and the engine stops....

Are you getting any feel from the governor?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
all the levers and springs move at the carb...i can feel the throttle lever pressure and see it all moving

How did problem start? When did it run right?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
last year it worked fine....i put fuel stabilizer in it, pulled the battery. then last month i put a fully charged battery in it and had to use engine starter fluid in the carb and it started but went to full throttle even if i moved the throttle

Throttle cable not broken and is moving the plastic link piece on the outside of the throttle bracket?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
to all

Can you control the speed if you hold the linkage at the carburetor?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i havent tried that....ill get back to you....how do i do that...get in touch with you later

OK>

see question is still open, did you find the problem?