Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a K3500 portable generator. How much would it cost to

Customer Question

I have a K3500 portable generator. How much would it cost to replace the main coil?
JA: I'm not sure of the exact price, but there's only a $5 deposit. The rest of the price information will be on the page I send you to.
Customer: please send to***@******.***
JA: What's the make and model of the generator? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Onan K3500 Power Express that is more than 20 years old
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes,
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: It is running okay. I put a dual load on it (drill and saw) then the electrical outage occurred. Tried the circuit breaker on and off, but no electricity. Hooked up volt meter and following the Service Manual instructions, I am getting 3.5 volts out of the 120V outlet.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 7 months ago.

What are you calling the main coil? The stator? The ignition coil? The rotor?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
My troubleshooting guide says main coil problem action is to replace the stator assembly (that action is for "No Voltage" at the electrical outlet). I am able to read 3.5V out of the 120V receptacle. Also, the generator is likely 25 yrs old, with many years of sitting un-used. I just put it back in action and it fired up with only a spark plug cleaning.