Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Tech
7276279

I put oil in the gas tank of my new Briggs an Stratton 550E

Customer Question

I put oil in the gas tank of my new Briggs an Stratton 550E lawn mower engine. I have rinsed it out twice with gas but am afraid to start it. Any suggestions?
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: Where is the shut-off valve. The instructions don't mention one. I therefore assume there is none.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Can I start it without hurting the engine? It has clean gas in the rinsed out tank.
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Ron replied 20 days ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Expert:  Ron replied 20 days ago.

As long as it been rinsed out you are fine to add fresh gas and start the engine, even if there was a small amount of residue left in the tank it will not hurt anything. The fuel will dilute it and it will burn off with no issues.